    regardless of camera movement, shutter speed, etc. It's not blurry
    only when I zoom in. What could be the problem and what can I do about
    it?

    snapcount, Mar 7, 2007

  2. snapcount

    snapcount Guest

    snapcount, Mar 7, 2007

  3. snapcount

    ray Guest

    Failure to properly focus? Send it back for repair??

    ray, Mar 7, 2007
  4. snapcount

    Cynicor Guest

    Cynicor, Mar 7, 2007
  5. snapcount

    Karl Winkler Guest

    Looks like the lens is out of alignment with the sensor. Maybe the
    sensor is positioned incorrectly or came loose at the top. Or maybe
    the lens mount got tweaked. Definitely a camera problem.

    -Karl

    Karl Winkler, Mar 7, 2007
  6. snapcount

    JohnR66 Guest

    It is possible your bottom part of the subject is not in the same plane of
    focus. I can't tell if the camera was parallel to the surface in the first
    shot. Anyhow, if it is soft, it will show if you shoot a flat object and be
    sure the camera is parallel to the surface.

    I bought (and since gotten rid of) an A540 that the bottom third of the
    image was soft. I confirmed by carfully testing on a lens test chart. Likely
    caused by a decenterend and/or tilted lens element(s). This seems to be a
    problem on some Canon compacts. I'm hearing more about it. It is sad that
    Canon's QC is falling into the toilet.
    John

    JohnR66, Mar 7, 2007
  7. snapcount

    snapcount Guest

    Thanks guys, I'm gonna see if it can be repaired.

    snapcount, Mar 7, 2007
  8. A friend bought a Canon compact and it was VERY unsharp, more
    on the left than the right edge, with horrendous amounts of chromatic
    shift also evident (all evident in tiny prints) - and Canon pronounced it
    "within spec" and refused to repair/replace it under warranty. Another
    friend bought one and it was quite good except for the lower left
    corner at WA (not bad though, so he kept it), though about one in 10
    frames was totally soft, as if the AF had failed. I have often in the past
    recommended buying all gear from a dealer who will accept returns/
    exchanges, and then TEST IT while you can still return it! Do not
    assume that new gear is perfect, 'cuz it often isn't...

    David Ruether, Mar 7, 2007