    I'm spending as much time as possible on CertGuard. Do you think my 'boss' isn't
    PO'd at me most of the time?

    And yes, I do have to take myself seriously...if I don't, who will?

    CertGuard, Apr 3, 2007

  2. CertGuard

    CertGuard Guest

    That's because it wasn't done properly. I intend on doing this properly.

    And thanks ;-)

    CertGuard, Apr 3, 2007

  3. CertGuard

    Kline Sphere Guest

    I'm not Laura I'm afraid (nor am I into S&M!); will an IT Girl do?

    you bet baby!
    recruitment (*cough*) consultants , are just sales people, why
    companies fell the need to use them to hire people has always amazed
    me! they don't care who they 'sell' has long as they (and no some
    other body shop) 'sell' someone.
    we've all heard stories like that. about ten years ago, my company had
    started looking into microsoft stuff, they bought in same tin pot ms
    partner outfit, one of their 'senior' grunts who was an mcsd, never
    even knew how to register a com component. so that little venture was
    doomed!
    I personally have no sympathy with any company who allows that to
    happen. i still find it hard to believe it could happen, but yeah i
    know is does, ha, funny really.
    do you regret it now?
    ' technical tests' is what certification 'should' be providing; well
    as far as ms cert's go, they prove zilch.

    technical tests are good, time consuming, but still a good way to
    determine someone's experience. back home, we give technical tests to
    all prospective software engineers, but these tests tend to be
    generalized in nature and not tied to a technology or vender. if
    someone has the business knowledge and has experience in the field, we
    can train such people to use .net, j2ee or whatever. an experienced
    software engineer who's worked with c++ could learn java, c# in no
    time, but learning 'the business', that takes years....

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Apr 3, 2007
  4. CertGuard

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Seriously, if MS can't (or won't) do anything about the problem, then we
    should also have added that in my books, having fcuking sense of humor
    goes a long way when looking to recruit someone. you can't train
    someone in having a fun personality!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Apr 3, 2007
  5. CertGuard

    Kline Sphere Guest

    don't do it man, there's still time to get out of it ;-)

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Apr 3, 2007
  6. CertGuard

    CertGuard Guest

    And I agree with you 100% JaR (except for that last sentence). I'm not saying
    give up the core values, all I'm saying is that when it comes to dealing with
    the corporations, there is a better way.

    As for the 'outsiders' I was referring to, they're the people you want to
    listen...the execs that run the small, medium, and large businesses in the US
    and UK (ok, other places too). Those are the people that need to be made aware
    of this...as TheITGirl pointed out, "Perhaps if more employers imposed technical
    tests on candidates and checked out their certifications instead of believing
    whatever BS they come out with at interview, the cheaters and incompetents would
    not be able to take jobs off genuinely skilled people, whose certifications were
    come by honestly." Well, they're not here anymore.

    LOL...yes, that whole line was just a chain yank. Hence the "Chill...I'm just
    tryin to get your goat." I understand your frustrations, I've got the same (or
    similar) frustrations myself.

    It's not about writing TO them, or talking TO their people. It's about educating
    the people that don't know better. And the way I see it, if you're still posting
    their certs in your sig, you haven't written them off, not completely anyways.

    Is de-flawing the process not an option? Exam Security is the #1 reason behind
    all of the problems that we're talking about. And it's not just M$, the problem
    lies in the testing centers themselves. THEY are the reason TK is so big, THEY
    are the reason there are so many cheaters, it's not just the type of exam
    (although yes, that does play a part in it).

    I really don't think it's that they don't want to, it's just that there are
    better ways to deal with this sort of thing than to just yank the certification
    process out from under the feet of the hundreds of thousands of legitimately
    certified individuals.

    MCSE, I know you're aware, has been considered a legacy certification for a
    couple years now. There's no use in trying to get the MCSE certification process
    changed, but there are new certs that they are working on changing. And from
    what I hear, it's working...we'll see once the results are out.
    I'm not giving up, if I were giving up, you'd see a 404 where CertGuard used to
    be. Next time you see me pushing at that windmill...do me a favor and jump in
    and give me a freakin' hand, ferghodsakes. ;-)

    You're right, and I agree. And I realize that MCSEs will be needed for a long
    time to come, but it is a legacy cert and many people won't be pursuing it for
    much longer, so you can expect a drop in those certs coming real soon. You stick
    with the MCSE cert and you'll be fine in a few years, I'm sure you'll have no
    problems finding high paying jobs.
    I hear you, I've don't my fair share of 'letting off steam', I'm just tired of
    letting off steam to people that aren't listening. Tell me...have you listened
    to me more since I quit letting off steam? You're definitely responding more.
    It has been a while hasn't it?! ;-)

    CertGuard, Apr 3, 2007
  7. CertGuard

    CertGuard Guest

    LOL...I've heard that 5 times this week alone... ;-)

    CertGuard, Apr 3, 2007
  8. CertGuard

    JaR Guest

    CertGuard wrote:
    And the way I see it, if
    LOL! Look again. The .sigs in this thread are just my routine digs at M.
    Alligood, MCP. When else have you seen me list certs in my .sig?
    Eh, too long maybe.

    JaR, Apr 3, 2007
  9. CertGuard

    kpg Guest

    "CertGuard" <CertGuard - The Stronghold for Excellence in IT
    Certification and Exam Security> wrote in

    Not sure what part of my post you read wrong...but...I was trying
    to temper JaR's harsh yet valid remarks while at the same time
    provide some moral support - I was not being sarcastic when
    I said "Fight the Good Fight" and "Fight the Power" although the
    I'm not opposed to the inherit futility that those phrases imply.

    Granted I don't contribute nearly as much as you do toward the cause,
    but I never intended my remarks to disparage your efforts (not
    withstanding the "hard head" remark, which I'm inclined to believe
    is true, no?).

    Come on, it's a badge of honor to be playfully besmirched by your
    brothers-in-arms-that-sit-on-their-a$$-behind-the-lines while
    you do the work that Americans won't do.

    Fris is right, you need to lighten up.

    ....and get back to work fixing that cert thing.

    0x22

    kpg, Apr 3, 2007
  10. CertGuard

    TheITGirl Guest

    I so HATE recruitment consultments! Ooooh, their horrible sing-song voices
    and fake smiles! When I was working as a legal secretary they used to send
    us some dire, and I mean dire, temps. I know everyone's human and we all
    make mistakes, but when there's not one, but half a dozen, typos in every
    line ... you get t he picture!

    I've also used them on the odd occasion when I've been looking to change
    jobs - got sent to interviews for some totally unsuitable positions.
    In stark contrast, in my previous job I was working on the helpdesk of a
    large law firm. There were 18 of us on the team, all extremely
    knowledgeable, none of them certified and many, IMO, totally wasted on the
    helpdesk. However, some people are their own worst enemy. One of the guys
    on the team had been doing 1st line support for 8 years and had been
    applying for jobs on other teams within the company, without success. He
    told me he had been waiting for over a year for the firm to cough up for an
    MCDST course he wanted to go on. I asked him why he didn't just buy the
    books and study himself, taking the exam when he felt he was ready. His
    answer was something along the lines of "well, yes, I suppose I could do
    that; I'll think about it ...".
    It would be even funnier if these guys weren't earning four or five times
    more than me!
    Not one bit. I'm getting paid to do something I enjoy - playing with
    computers!

    I am now working for one of the UK offices of an American law firm with
    offices in Europe. The difference in culture between this firm and the
    British law firms I have worked for (with the exception of one lovely firm,
    which I worked at for 16 years) is phenomenal. Yes, they expect you to work
    hard, but you do feel that your work is appreciated. British firms tend to
    want you to work long hours and still treat you like s**t.

    I work in a relatively small branch office with just two IT staff: a DST
    (me) and an SA. I've recently been appointed a member of the firm's user
    account creation team, which means I get some experience with Active
    Directory, which I hope will stand me in good stead for the 70-290, when the
    time comes! My colleague is a really good SA, and I'm learning a lot from
    him. A couple of months back he let me install Server 2003 onto a brand new
    server - not many firms would let a relative newbie like me loose on that!
    That is what they were intended to provide, of course, but they can't be
    relied on 100% any longer because of braindumps, gunmen and the like.
    I agree. I spent over 20 years in law firms as a secretary before moving
    into IT. Apart from a brief stint in a low-paid student IT position with
    the NHS, I have found myself working for law firms again in an IT capacity.
    I know the way lawyers like to work, the terminology they use, they
    accounting procedures they have to use, the pressures their clients put them
    under, etc. This has helped me to hit the ground running in my last two
    jobs. Of course, I like to think I'm quite a good DST as well ;-)

    TheITGirl, Apr 3, 2007
  11. CertGuard

    Kline Sphere Guest

    I know everyone's human and we all
    yup, sure do... sound just like me ;-)

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Apr 3, 2007
  12. CertGuard

    kpg Guest

    Nah, you're typing's fine, you just think that some words optional.

    kpg, Apr 3, 2007
  13. CertGuard

    Frisbee® Guest

    PtD

    Frisbee®, Apr 3, 2007
  14. CertGuard

    Blackmetal Guest

    I believe that technical tests at workplaces are important. At least in my
    case, I have been requested to provide samples of my coding, verifiable
    projects or websites. I work as a developer and it is easy to identify if
    someone has or not experience.

    Blackmetal, Apr 3, 2007
  15. CertGuard

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Nah, you're typing's fine, you just think that some words optional.
    you people are so mean.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Apr 3, 2007
  16. CertGuard

    CBIC Guest

    You aren't going to quit too are you?

    CBIC, Apr 3, 2007
  17. CertGuard

    CertGuard Guest

    Sorry, I saw (and still see) them as demeaning. Other than a mentally disabled
    person, who hit's their head on a brick wall?
    I suppose, but it seems to be a one-way street most of the time.
    I'm lightened up when I'm not CertGuard. When I'm Certguard, I'm on a mission.
    It's kinda like the Superman/Clark Kent thingy...you know...

    CertGuard, Apr 3, 2007
  18. CertGuard

    CertGuard Guest

    Understood ;)

    Shall we start the countdown? Your soapbox can be the mcngp new years.

    CertGuard, Apr 3, 2007
  19. CertGuard

    CertGuard Guest

    As they should be. That's one point that TheITGirl made. Employers should know
    better. And that's one of the many goals we're trying to accomplish.

    CertGuard, Apr 3, 2007
  20. CertGuard

    CertGuard Guest

    You wanna help???

    Buy a thong!!!

    http://www.cafepress.com/certguard

    If you REALLY wanna help, send it to JTYC ;-)

    CertGuard, Apr 3, 2007