paranoia... much too much

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by adcl, Nov 8, 2003.

  1. adcl

    adcl Guest

    In order to be safe a friends tells me I need all these programmes. Although
    I agree with some, in other case I feel this is getting paranoid and\with a
    likely duplication of tasks:
    - TDS-3 (for trojan)
    - AVG 7
    - Housecall (on line)
    - Diskeeper
    - Ad-aware
    - Spybot search & destroy
    - Window washer
    - System mechanic
    - Easy clean (2.0 beta)
    - HD valet
    - Mail washer
    - Privacy Manager
    - XP firewall
    - Zone Alarm

    Ok, my friend actually has a panic room in his house and an anti nuclear
    bunker in his back garden.... but surely, this is much to much.... for a
    home user at least.
    or am I too lax over security?
    adcl

    adcl, Nov 8, 2003

  2. adcl

    SSeaW Guest

    your friends are GEEKS!

    SSeaW, Nov 8, 2003

  3. adcl

    Avenger© Guest

    Your friend needs to take a couple of sedatives and chill out. Has he
    been smokin' too much of that happy weed?

    Avenger©, Nov 8, 2003
  4. adcl

    Graham Guest

    You're probably gonna end up with some errors to do with file sharing -
    Programs that do the same thing probably use the same files lol

    Graham, Nov 8, 2003
  5. adcl

    Gadget Guest

    Too Much. Some are duplicating each other.
    I have tries all but TDS-3 (for trojan), mail washer and Privacy Manager
    I recommend and use:
    Diskeeper - You Need It.
    Ad-aware - A MUST
    Spybot search & destroy
    Window washer
    System mechanic - Highly recommend
    Zone Alarm

    I also like E-Trust EZ Anti Virus

    If you are running these you are 99% invincible.

    Gadget, Nov 8, 2003
  6. adcl

    Gadget Guest

    Name calling does not help anyone.

    Got to get back to organizing my favorites and my dual monitor system on the
    third network hub is down. I've got a LAN partly tomorrow and this is a
    serious problem.

    Ta

    Gadget, Nov 8, 2003
  7. adcl

    adcl Guest

    they might be geeks but far less judgemental and more accepting of others
    than you.
    If that's how you choose to advise people who might not have your level of
    knowledge..... well I feel sorry for them.... and for you :)

    adcl, Nov 8, 2003
  8. adcl

    Gadget Guest

    Try posting under the post you are attacking.
    - if it is me, your screwed up, look for my recommendations here:

    Gadget

    Gadget, Nov 8, 2003
  9. adcl

    °Mike° Guest

    A good program, but not absolutely necessary with good
    system maintenance, and safe hex practices.

    Safe Hex
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    An antivirus is a must, but I suggest a FAR better alternative.

    This, also, is a must, as an alternative virus scanner, particularly
    if your installed program gets crippled. Be sure to update it
    regularly, too.

    Not necessary.

    Both of the above are free, and are indispensable.

    Paranoia-ware. Not needed.

    Not a necessity.

    Both excellent, free clean-up utilities. Keepers.

    Limited to one account in the free version. Try Magic Mail Monitor.
    http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/

    Paranoia-ware. Not needed.

    Not needed with Zone Alarm installed.

    °Mike°, Nov 8, 2003
  10. adcl

    gangle Guest

    I practiced safe hex, but it didn't prevent my penis from
    falling off that night on my tractor. Hmmph.

    gangle, Nov 8, 2003
  11. adcl

    °Mike° Guest

    You obviously didn't practice hard enough.

    °Mike°, Nov 8, 2003
  12. adcl

    adcl Guest

    sorry, must have cocked up.... was sure I had posted to the other guy.... up
    to Mike's answer, yours was the only helpful reply I had got....
    Hopefully this one is going to the right person... i.e Gadget!

    adcl, Nov 8, 2003
  13. adcl

    anthonyberet Guest

    I think its a little over the top -but not by much (I have 9 of the 14
    applications you mention, and a few you don't).
    be spam-filtered.
    Do you use filesharing networks? If so, please visit my online poll:
    http://vote.sparklit.com/web_poll.spark/780772
    anthonyberet

    anthonyberet, Nov 8, 2003
  14. adcl

    Patrick Guest

    You did post correctly, to the bloke that said your friends are (naughty
    word)
    Your 'friend', however *is* (full of ....)

    Patrick, Nov 8, 2003
  15. adcl

    adcl Guest

    my friend is the kind of guy who will have a pair of braces to hold is
    trousers.... and a belt as well... just in case.
    I call that pessimism...... a much kinder definition.
    adcl

    adcl, Nov 8, 2003