  1. godslabrat

    godslabrat Guest

    ....Sorry, just felt like doing that for old times' sake.

    godslabrat, Feb 21, 2008

  2. Still, we don't have a good "villain" like we did back then, like the
    days of "Spielberg prefers DiVX", or "Lucas is hiding 'Phantom Menace'!"

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Feb 21, 2008

  3. godslabrat

    godslabrat Guest

    I dunno... I found the whole "Sony is a greedy, anti-consumer
    corporation, but Microsoft is A-Okay" mantra to be rather menacing.
    It was almost like Microsoft was playing the role of Palpatine-
    pitting both sides against each other, with no one seeming to notice.

    And at least for the next year or so, we'll have to deal with "BluRay
    will never take off as long as you can buy a $30 DVD player at Wal-
    Mart" and "Downloads are the future, because everyone says so!"

    godslabrat, Feb 21, 2008
  4. (And how many felt like total shmucks to find out that "evil DiVX
    supporter" Lucas was "hiding" Phantom Menace long enough to finish the
    CGI on the Deleted Scenes?--
    I mean, what kinda nut wastes time doing THAT?...You wouldn't see, like,
    Peter Jackson doing that for "The Frighteners", wouldja?)
    And how about that evergreen disgruntled-sore-loser favorite "Who cares,
    they'll probably push another new format on us three years from now!"?

    Derek Janssen (there, there, let it all out)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 21, 2008
  5. Very few are old enough to remember the olden days of this NG - I remember
    all the anger over DIVX (the Circuit City DIVX format), and the joy when
    DIVX died back in June of '99.
    I posted on this NG before I even had a DVD player - and when I finally got
    that credit card, I maxed it out to get a $600.00 Sony DVP-S500 player (the
    price would rapidly drop the following year, much to my chagrin, but at
    least I had the first DVD player in my family!!) and my first six discs from
    Suncoast.
    I remember when some idiots thought that DVD should be supplanted by HD Tape
    (some even saying that "Tape is the Future").
    Now we have DVR's and Blu-Ray (I don't have Blu-Ray yet b/c I don't yet have
    an HDTV).
    At least we killed DIVX.

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Mar 28, 2009