    It's not cost effective to set up a wireless print network. So-- any
    suggestions? I'd hate to have to go out and buy a new printer to replace a
    perfectly good one...

    Charlie Allnut, May 18, 2007

  2. Charlie Allnut

    Evan Platt Guest

    Look on like Freecycle or craigslist. You can get a printer for under
    $100 nowdays, or on freecycle - free.

    Evan Platt, May 18, 2007

  3. How about a PCI parallel-port card? What are they, about $10US?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 18, 2007
  4. Charlie Allnut

    Evan Platt Guest

    Could be.. I was looking at internal modems.. $80-$100.. WTF?

    Evan Platt, May 19, 2007
  5. Charlie Allnut

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You don't need drivers they are built-in with XP and Vista. In the printers
    properties page the port you look for should be called USB1 (Virtual
    printing port). In the device manager it should show up under USB as USB
    printing support.

    pcbutts1, May 19, 2007
  6. Charlie Allnut

    JANA Guest

    Go to your computer dealer and get a parallel card. This is the best way to
    have a parallel port.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    I've got an excellent condition and little used HP LaserJet 6L printer that
    only has a parallel cable output-- but my new computer doesn't have a
    parallel port-- just USB.

    So I got a parallel/Centronics to USB adaptor cable-- but the computer
    doesn't recognize it and I can't find a driver that will work. The HP
    website is no help.

    JANA, May 19, 2007
  7. You didn't tell about which OS your computer is running, and if it's a
    laptop or desktop.
    For a desktop, the universal solution would be a pci "multiple io card",
    usually with serial and parallel ports. Works fine with win9x as well as
    2k/XP, and linux or others as well. You get them cheaper than the
    usb-to-parallel cables.
    Would need no wireless, but there are some routers with printer ports,
    though most of them only usb. You can have 2nd hand jetdirect printserver
    boxen as well, and a crossover cable.

    Walter Mautner, May 19, 2007
  8. Charlie Allnut

    Leythos Guest

    Wrong, in many cases the USB>Serial or USB>Par or USB>Net need drivers.
    XP does not support all of those type devices and the vendors that
    provide the devices should have provided a driver media for them.

    *** WARNING - this links contains foul/pornographic content of an
    website ***
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/leythos.htm
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/bughunter.htm

    Leythos, May 19, 2007
  9. Charlie Allnut

    Jerry G. Guest

    Go to a computer dealer and get a parallel board. Install it, and you
    will have a real parallel port.

    If you are on a laptop, get a PCM parallel adaptor. This should work out
    very well.

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., May 19, 2007
  10. Didn't we say this yesterday? I know I did.
    "How about a PCI parallel-port card? What are they, about $10US?"

    Do you ever read anything beyond the OP?

    Your clock is off.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 20, 2007
  11. Charlie Allnut

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Heh! Kinda like ProfGene - he waltzes into the usenet and starts answering
    two-week-old already-answered questions, then flies off into his own little
    world for a few days before he returns to belatedly dazzle us with his
    ineptitude.

    WhzzKdd, May 20, 2007
  12. You can by an adapter that can go inlie with your cabling any coputer
    part store would have them. By a centroncis/usb adapter they shouldn't
    be mor ethan 7-12 dollars depending on where you get them. you run your
    centonic cable down to the adapter then to the usb port make sure you
    know if you have a usb 2.0 port or 1.1 port the styles vary.

    Frank

    Frank Sharkey, May 21, 2007
  13. Charlie Allnut

    Keme Guest

    Frank Sharkey skrev:
    Frank! You probably need a new screen and keyboard.
    (Your screen seems to hide the part where Charlie said that he'd already
    acquired a USB-centronics adapter, and your keyboard skips random
    letters and punctuation as you type.)

    Keme, May 22, 2007