    Tjacobs Guest

    What is best for a Epson 960 printer to be hooked up to?
    thanks

    Tjacobs, Jun 3, 2004

  2. Tjacobs

    Lindyhop Guest

    A USB cable is a lot easier to work with. As long as your OS provides good USB support it's the way to go IMHO.

    Lindyhop, Jun 3, 2004

  3. Tjacobs

    Andrew Guest

    Makes no difference, the printer is way slower than the interface. USB
    ports are more useful for other things, so I would go for parallel.

    Andrew, Jun 3, 2004
  4. Tjacobs

    imagejunkie Guest

    I don't know about Epson but when I had my HP printer hooked to the parallel
    port the computer was practically useless for anything else when a job was
    printing - way slow and jerky (and we're talking about a 1.6 GHz P4 here).
    When I installed the USB printer driver and hooked to that port, I could
    print in the background with almost no noticeable effect on other computer
    programs that were running in the foreground. I was amazed at the
    difference.

    imagejunkie, Jun 3, 2004
  5. I think it depends on the amount of memory in the printer. With USB, the
    computer can dump the whole file into the printer pronto, so you can get on
    with other things. Get printer memory and go with USB is my suggestion.

    Phil Stripling, Jun 3, 2004
  6. Tjacobs

    Paul Guest

    If you checked the BIOS settings the parallel ports were probably set to
    Standard. If you set them to EPP your printer (and scanners, etc,) hum
    along quite nicely. No different to USB (but USB is a lot easier to just
    plug into without having to worry about such hidden settings).
    I would use the USB ports for other things that really need them.

    Paul, Jun 4, 2004
  7. Tjacobs

    stan Guest

    USB will be faster than parallel for any kind of printer
    that has the choice.

    stan, Jun 4, 2004
  8. Tjacobs

    Peter Berlin Guest

    There is no measurable difference in the print speed between usb and
    parellel. If there is a card readed on the printer, the usb will help
    with the speed.

    Peter Berlin, Jun 4, 2004