    telstra emails - every one I have received arrives in my email box at
    12:03 am. I have received 5 of them now - and yes I have logged it with
    the 'desk ...... they aren't particularly interested at all really......

    smf, Feb 6, 2006

  2. smf

    Ross Dawson Guest

    Yep been getting them as well.

    Ross Dawson, Feb 6, 2006

  3. I despair of Paradise/Telstra getting their act together. My usage
    meter seems OK.

    However, back when the new plans were introduced it was noted here
    that the modem rental charge had also been removed from existing
    customers invoices.
    Today I received my latest invoice, which includes a rental charge for
    Nov, Dec & Jan. No explanation offered. I guess it was too good to
    hope for!

    I note on Mon's DomPost a story that TC has axed 60 jobs, twice as
    many as proposed following a review last year.

    <http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3562296a28,00.html>

    The story does state

    "Ms Laing says TelstraClear's total headcount is unchanged at about
    1400 as newly-created roles have been filled."

    and then

    "The review also highlighted the need for "internal system
    improvements, such as billing system integration" to improve customer
    service."

    Given their recent response to usage meter and other problems I guess
    "Yeah, right" is the appropriate comment.

    Malcolm Moore, Feb 6, 2006
  4. Why are you still using Telstra?

    Paradise hasn't existed in anything other than name for quite some time
    now. The key elements that made Paradise as good as it was have long gone.

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken, Feb 6, 2006
  5. smf

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    True, but where else can you get 2 Mbps upload speeds and a static IP
    for under $100/month?

    Bruce Hoult, Feb 6, 2006
  6. Orcon?

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken, Feb 7, 2006
  7. smf

    Peter Guest

    In my own case, I don't know, but I am seriously considering returning to
    the Telecom fold about the time the new 'phone book comes out (remember you
    need to get the wheels rolling about three months before and there is still
    a likelihood that Telecom Directories will botch things up).

    Peter, Feb 7, 2006
  8. smf

    Tony Guest

    Tony, Feb 7, 2006
  9. smf

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    URL, please.

    I can see 2 Mbps down DSL (presumably 128 kbps up), but I didn't see
    anything with 2 Mbps up.

    Bruce Hoult, Feb 7, 2006
  10. I was under the impression that Orcon did not charge for static IP
    numbers, and that a 2bm ... <snip>

    Ah!

    *Upload* speeds!

    Why do you need that sort of upload speed? :eek:)

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken, Feb 7, 2006
  11. smf

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    Because sometimes I'm at home grabbing stuff from elsewhere, and
    sometimes I'm elsewhere grabbing stuff from home. Just this afternoon I
    was in town at a client's and realized I'd left behind an important 5 MB
    file. 20 seconds later I'd scp'd it onto my laptop. If I'd had 128
    kbps DSL at home then it would have taken over five minutes.

    Or, a few days ago I uploaded 54 MB of pictures I'd taken at the Gliding
    Grand Prix (http://www.hoult.org/bruce/gp06/) to my web server in the
    USA. It took four minutes. On one of those DSL 128 kbps upload things
    it would have taken an hour.

    Need? *Need*? I suppose I don't NEED it. But if I can have it for a
    reasonable price then why on earth not?

    Bruce Hoult, Feb 7, 2006
  12. Nice pics. I see you still have a good eye for the ladies :)

    Cheers, Liam

    Liam Greenwood, Feb 7, 2006
  13. smf

    Jonno Guest

    Wow now their cable usage log in page has disappeared as well. Can't wait
    for their account. Bet that doesn't disappear

    Jonno, Feb 8, 2006
  14. True!

    What exactly is the sort of plan that you're on? Are you on 1/4 DSL
    (2mbit/s) for both up and download speeds?

    And what does that cost per month?

    I'm curious.

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken, Feb 8, 2006
  15. smf

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    True!

    What exactly is the sort of plan that you're on? Are you on 1/4 DSL
    (2mbit/s) for both up and download speeds?

    And what does that cost per month?[/QUOTE]

    Cable 2M down/2M up, 10 GB, static IP, and a telephone for
    $101.90/month. "Phone and HighSpeed 10G" at
    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products-res/packages/residential_pricing
    ..cfm.

    The bad stuff is that you *have* to take a phone -- I'd rather get just
    the internet part for $70 -- and that there is no discount for local or
    national traffic.

    Bruce Hoult, Feb 8, 2006
  16. What happens if you use more than 10gigs in any one calendar month?

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken, Feb 8, 2006
  17. smf

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    You get to pay $5 per extra 500 MB.

    Bruce Hoult, Feb 8, 2006
  18. smf

    Rob J Guest

    Oh it's David Murray again... I'm not!

    Rob J, Feb 8, 2006
  19. smf

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nymshifter Mk II, Roger Sheppard being the Mk I version. It must be
    miserable being so obnoxious that you have to keep changing your nick to try
    to trick people into talking to you.

    ~misfit~, Feb 8, 2006
  20. smf

    shannon Guest