    to make our choice to subscribe to.

    Then you are going to be like Xtra and kill it because no one uses it

    Do not be clear hypocrites Paradise.net management

    RayC, Oct 15, 2006

  2. RayC

    peterwn Guest

    You should know by now that TelstraClear does not give a stuff about
    their customers. The sneaky b*****'s wait till the new phone book
    comes out then sneak up their telephone charges.

    peterwn, Oct 15, 2006

  3. RayC

    juicyjuice Guest

    um, 78,000 from my count which is quite substantial compared to other isps,
    ihug has a measily 35k or so for example

    there is also alot more than 100,000 groups available - If every single
    group was carried by them, you would be looking at close to a million,
    taking a very large chunk of their network bandwidth.

    juicyjuice, Oct 15, 2006
  4. RayC

    RayC Guest

    Think about it mate.

    You groups download the ones who are subscribed to end users.
    Ignore the ones with no interest
    Evertime this stupid excuse is raised by at least one home user that has
    shares in the company.

    RayC, Oct 16, 2006
  5. RayC

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Then they can buy more. Consumers are upset and speaking. Please listen.

    Dave Taylor, Oct 16, 2006
  6. RayC

    juicyjuice Guest

    Have no idea what you are trying to say, sorry. I don't have shares in
    Telstra.

    juicyjuice, Oct 17, 2006
  7. RayC

    juicyjuice Guest

    Do you have any idea how much bandwidth you would need to carry 1 million
    newsgroups?

    juicyjuice, Oct 17, 2006
  8. RayC

    RayC Guest

    What's the relevance, I was talking of 100,000 groups.

    Group downloading makes it more than economic

    RayC, Oct 17, 2006
  9. RayC

    juicyjuice Guest

    tru, diskspace then =)

    Do you really need 20,000 extra groups?
    Have you asked them to just add the groups you want?

    juicyjuice, Oct 17, 2006
  10. I suppose that would depend on the number of messages coming in, not on the
    number of newsgroups.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 17, 2006
  11. RayC

    Phil Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote, On 17/10/06 9.20 p:
    Which would be why no ISP (that I know of) carries binary groups.

    From <http://newsadmin.com/top100bytes.asp>, even their sample
    population of newsgroups does ~1.3TB daily.

    -Phil

    Phil, Oct 17, 2006
  12. Interesting - I was with Paradise until about 18 months ago, and they
    carried binaries then. iHug did until about a year ago (IIRC). Dropping
    binary groups seems like a recent thing. What's the betting broadband
    uptake was making them really painful to carry?

    Rupert Boleyn, Oct 17, 2006
  13. RayC

    jasen Guest

    TC has some

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Oct 18, 2006
  14. RayC

    RayC Guest

    Ok smarty how do i find them then

    the daily new newsgroup updates on teranew or easynews lets you choose.

    do you actually know about newsgroups or just guessing?

    RayC, Oct 18, 2006
  15. RayC

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Last time I looked the retention was really bad, so bad as to be nearly
    useless.

    Dave Taylor, Oct 18, 2006
  16. RayC

    jasen Guest

    maybe if you run "suck" or similar to download everything every few minutes
    you'd get enough...

    I'm on dialup so I don't attempt to read the high volume ones, low volume
    like "alt.binaries.schematics.electronic" seem OK. I hit it atleast once
    every 4 hours.

    jasen, Oct 19, 2006
  17. RayC

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Yeah, I setup hampster to scrape the ones I wanted, but gave up after that
    was useless too. Little file, no problem, but one or two big ISO's and the
    new would push out the old before you had a chance to download it! So
    useless in reality. I wonder how much of the nntp server is wasted by that
    very problem. I bet that the TC bandwidth is probably not being used
    effectively. Chuck another spindle in the server and increase retention
    and I bet the server could be tweaked to be useful. As it is now, not very
    useful. A wasted resource IMHO.

    Dave Taylor, Oct 21, 2006
  18. Indeed ... the Telstraclear motto "sweat the assets" being applied without
    insight is resulting in an effect quite the reverse of that desired.

    Mark Robinson, Oct 21, 2006