Paper Quality

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Jan 15, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hi. I am just after some advice on A4 paper.

    I don't know too much about the different grades and weights, but what
    I am looking for at the moment is something that is really good
    quality and will allow me to print on both sides of the paper without
    the ink showing through to the other side and without the paper
    curling after it has been printed on.

    Regular cheap office paper (I think this is 80gsm whatever gsm means!)
    is no good for this. I have been using white card, which does what I
    want however it takes twice as long to print on white card and it
    costs a lot more for the card and the ink.

    I would really like something that would still be classed as paper and
    can be sucked through my printer on sheet feed instead of manual
    (without any jams), but obviously is more heavy weight than regular
    paper, were the ink can't be seen through the paper and it doesn't
    cost a lot to buy.

    What should I be looking for? Can you recommend what grade of paper
    would fit this purpose and were I can buy cheaply?

    Thanks for any recommendations

    John, Jan 15, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. The manual for your model and brand of printer probably
    lists the paper varieties (weights and surface textures) the
    manufacturer recommends. You can then go shopping
    Don Phillipson, Jan 15, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. John

    CSM1 Guest

    gsm is a metric term and means grams per square meter. It is the thickness
    of the paper.

    If you are in the USA, most paper is in pounds. 20 pound paper is the normal
    office paper. 24 Lb is a little thicker (heavier).

    Here is page on the subject.
    CSM1, Jan 15, 2006
  4. John

    Tony Guest

    gsm = grams per square metre. Sometimes written as g/m2. The weight of a square
    metre of your paper would be 80 grams.
    100 gsm paper is readily available from many outlets so you need to check near
    you. This has less print through than 80gsm paper and is less likely to curl.
    Give it a go.
    BTW inkjets generally curl paper much less than lasers and in a different way,
    but you mention ink in your post. Are you using a laser or an inkjet?
    If you are using a laser cheap paper is not a good idea since it often has a
    high clay content and will more readily absorb moisture resulting in more jams
    than a quality paper will.
    Tony, Jan 15, 2006
  5. John

    Surfer! Guest

    100gsm might do the trick. See if you can get a few sample sheets from
    your stationary supplier.
    Surfer!, Jan 15, 2006
  6. John

    John Guest

    Yes I am using an inkjet printer. I am in the UK so most things are
    metric here, well except for travelling distance we use Miles.

    I will have to try find somewhere I can buy some 100gsm paper from
    tomorrow and see if that works for me.


    John, Jan 15, 2006
  7. Quality and thickness are two different things.
    Quality is usually expressed by the material,
    e.g., 50 rag etc. Lower quality papers (normal
    papers) are made of wood fiber from trees, some
    however are acid free which means higher quality.
    But higher quality papers all include a certain
    percent of other material. For example a high
    quality paper stationary paper would be 100
    percent rag or linen.

    As for thickness, the gsm rating is density. But
    in similar papers a higher density means a thicker
    paper. For example, the paper I use for printing
    photos is 255 gsm or65 pound (you do the math for
    the conversion).

    Standard paper is 20 pound but we always used 24
    pound paper for double sided printing for copy
    machine and laser printing. Your printer may be
    able to feed 65-70 pound paper with no problem,
    but realize that photopaper is more dense weights
    more per sheet) than regular paper. So in equal
    weights the standard paper may be considerably
    thicker and may not feed as well. In any case, I can

    One solution you might try is to reduce the amount
    of ink that you printer uses. If you get curl, it
    sounds like you are not using inkjet paper or are
    using too much ink. My paper does not curl. Your
    printer driver may have a slide to adjust ink
    volume or may only a set of quality settings.
    Also, the amount of ink applied can change with
    the paper type selected.
    George E. Cawthon, Jan 15, 2006
  8. John

    John Guest

    Can anyone recommend any main office supply stores or photocopy places
    in the UK that would sell a whole range of paper at reasonable prices?

    Would somewhere like Staples or Prontaprint sell different types of
    paper? I am in Leeds, Yorkshire.

    I am thinking that perhaps 120gsm paper would probably be right for
    what I need to do. Something like Navigator Colour paper, Xerox
    Colourtech Plus or Neusiedler Colour Copy paper.

    I think online this is working out at about £17 for 500 sheets, so I
    am not bothered if I have to pay slightly more than this if I can get
    it in the shops tomorrow.

    Thanks for any help

    John, Jan 16, 2006

  9. This would work.,1271,1275&webid=4m130&affixedcode=WW

    They don't mention inkjet, but this will probably work well also
    Edwin Pawlowski, Jan 16, 2006
  10. John

    John Guest

    John, Jan 16, 2006
  11. John

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi John...

    With all due respect, you haven't made the mistake that many
    newbies (myself included) make, have you?

    That is... try to get better quality prints by telling the printer
    that you're using better paper than you in fact are?

    I ask because, if you put in plain paper and then select for instance
    photo quality, the result will be horrendously excess ink, which will
    saturate the paper, ruining it and wasting gobs of ink.

    If you put in plain paper, select plain paper :)

    Take care.

    Ken Weitzel, Jan 16, 2006
  12. John

    Burt Guest

    John - General purpose paper does not have the special coating that gives
    the best quality prints (other than text and small areas of graphics) with
    inkjet printers. My experience is only with dye-based printers, both Epson
    and Canon. There are papers that are especially coated to prevent the
    inkjet inks from permeating the paper fibers and bleeding through. Most
    manufacturers make them and they have various names. I've used Kodak papers
    that are for catalog or presentation pages, Epson High Quality inkjet letter
    paper, and Epson Matte heavyweight paper. These are prepared for one-side
    printing with a coating on only one side.

    For greeting cards I've used Epson double sided Matte paper and Staples
    photo supreme double sided matte paper. these are both card stock that will
    feed in my Canon i960 when stacked about 12 at a time. They are coated on
    both sides and print very good images on both sides with very little showing
    through the back. I like the feel of the Staples paper better than the
    Epson as it is a little heavier and has more "snap."

    I live in San Francisco, and I watch the ads in the Sunday paper for the
    occasional special two for one sale on all Epson papers. I did get the same
    deal on the Staples paper once, and I suspect that they will put it out as a
    special again in the future. I then stock up for holiday and greeting card
    runs that I do throughout the year. These two papers are comparable to the
    fold-over cards and envelope sets that are sold as boxed sets for inkjet
    printing, but they are much cheaper to use. The big box office supply
    stores have envelopes sized for a fold-over card made on a whole sheet of
    8.5x11 paper and another for a fold-over card printed on 5.5x8.5 paper.
    Burt, Jan 16, 2006
  13. You did not mention what paper you are using, but in the US, HP has a
    'Matte Presentation Paper', which is about the same weight as standard
    typing paper. It's more opaque, and coated so that you can print on
    both sides. It says it's 'universal', but I have no idea how well it
    would work with non-HP printers. I don't know if they make an A4 sized
    one for the UK, but Staples has it over here.


    Computer services, custom metal etching,
    arts, crafts, and much more.
    Fenrir Enterprises, Jan 16, 2006
  14. John

    me Guest

    Ouch, you can get the stuff for a lot less than that, eg has quite a wide range of paper.

    Both the Neusiedler and Colortech papers are primarily set up for laser
    use, but that shouldn't be an issue. When I last used an inkjet (6/7
    years ago) I found Viking's Imperial paper was quite decent at 100 gsm
    and I think its about £6 per ream.

    Staples/Office World, maybe even PC World[1], would be good places to go
    and look at paper to get an idea, I know our local Staples has little
    samples of some of the papers so you can give it a good fondle and

    [1]Q: Where in the world is PC World?
    A: He's hiding in the hedge with a speed camera.
    me, Jan 16, 2006
  15. John

    Rob Guest

    Rob, Jan 16, 2006
  16. John

    Surfer! Guest

    I still buy beer in pints (or more often half-pints!) and some groceries
    are packaged in very strange metric sizes which turn out to be the
    equivalent of imperial sizes..
    All the usual stationary suppliers stock it, and some have 120gsm as
    Surfer!, Jan 16, 2006
  17. John

    me Guest

    Beware things that look like four pints of milk but turn out to be only
    two litres - you're being diddled out of nearly half a pint.

    For those on the other side of the Atlantic, when you go and buy a pint
    in the pub you get short changed too, since ours is 20 fluid ounces as
    opposed to your 16
    me, Jan 16, 2006
  18. John

    Gordo Guest

    HP sells a Brochure Paper that can be printed on both sides.

    Gordo, Jan 16, 2006
  19. John

    zakezuke Guest

    For those on the other side of the Atlantic, when you go and buy a pint
    Such sillyness with measurments. It does make me wish that we went
    metric rather than imperial... at least metric was a standard wher
    emperial decided to change. Either that or we got it wrong, not sure
    on that point. But I don't feel I get short changed in pubs. I have a
    choice between a glass (12oz) and pint (16oz) or either an imperial
    pint (20oz) or a mondo pint (22 or 24oz). Bottles I buy are either the
    12oz size, or the 20 to 24 range though typicaly 22. I've seen 8oz and
    10oz though only for lucky lager or mickey's big mouth.
    zakezuke, Jan 16, 2006
  20. John

    Livewire Guest

    The best paper I've found by miles is Viking Direct's own-brand 100gsm
    inkjet paper. (It comes in a silver/gray and white packet).It's often on
    offer at £2.99 a ream.

    I use it in both inkjet and colour laser printers and it has a really
    good quality feel about it.
    Livewire, Jan 16, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.