Pantone Colorplus - Has anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DJ, Apr 17, 2004.

  1. DJ

    DJ Guest

    DJ, Apr 17, 2004

  2. DJ

    Lucas Tam Guest

    It's really a rebranded Colorvision Spyder. People in this group have been
    using it for years. You can check group.google.com for reviews on the
    spyder (I think most were favourable).

    Lucas Tam, Apr 17, 2004

  3. DJ

    jray Guest

    Actually it's not. Pantone owns ColorVision and the new ColorPlus
    product still carries the ColorVision name.

    My friend bought one a few weeks back and asked me to put it through
    its paces. I profiled several monitors with the package and found none
    of them to produce better results than what I could achieve manually.
    In many cases the created profile was way off.

    The difference between the ColorPlus package and the PhotoCal and
    OptiCal bundles is not just the software. It also appears they have
    decided to use a dumbed down version of the Spyder II. While it will
    work with CRT and LCD monitors, it seems it may only be a 3 color
    colorimeter, or at least only red, green, blue, and gray samples are
    tested by the ColorPlus software wizard.

    While the provided colorimeter is said to be a Spyder II, both
    PhotoCal and OptiCal refuse to use it stating that it is an
    unsupported device. For this reason the ColorPlus package cannot be
    used to upgrade CRT only versions of the PhotoCal or OptiCal packages.
    This is what had hoped to do.

    Here are the results of my limited tests:

    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/90006/0#728207

    jray, May 10, 2004