Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38 vs DMC-FZ35

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sobriquet, Oct 4, 2009.

  1. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    Hi.

    An acquaintance has recently bought a Lumix DMC-FZ38 and has some
    problems loading the RAW files into the legacy version of ACR that
    works for Photoshop CS3.
    Apparently, there are slight differences between the European (FZ38)
    and US (FZ35) version of the camera and the latest version of ACR and
    the DNG convertor are only said to be compatible with the FZ35.

    I could experiment myself with CS4 and the RW2 RAW file wouldn't be
    recognized by Bridge or ACR.
    So, with a HEX editor, I modified an occurrence of the text "FZ38" to
    "FZ35" (which amounts to modifying a single byte in the RAW file) in
    the header of the RW2 file and lo and behold, Bridge now displays the
    thumbnail and ACR (5.5) loads the RAW file without problems (some
    screenshots):

    http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/4153/hexrw2.jpg
    http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1628/acrrw2.jpg

    So, with this modification, latest version of the DNG convertor will
    now convert the RW2 files to DNG.
    However, somehow it seems very difficult to open those DNG files with
    the legacy version of ACR that
    is compatible with CS3.

    Does anyone know exactly which options to set in the Adobe DNG
    convertor (5.5) to ensure that the generated DNG file will be read by
    legacy versions of ACR in CS3?

    Here is an example of an RW2 file that has been slightly modified with
    a HEX editor to ensure the latest version of DNG convertor will
    convert it to DNG:
    http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/P1000024.RW2

    If someone can provide some hints or clues, that would be appreciated.

    Kind regards, Niek

    sobriquet, Oct 4, 2009

  2. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    Problem seems to be solved with the legacy version of ACR (4.6) in
    CS3:

    http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1223/dngcs3.jpg

    sobriquet, Oct 4, 2009