    swap for something else.

    Thanks in advance.

    Jenny

    BuzzyBee, Jan 22, 2007

  2. BuzzyBee

    ASAAR Guest

    It's really only a concern if you think that you'll be taking lots
    of pictures in low light conditions. If most of your pictures use
    the flash or are daylight pictures, where the ISO can be kept at 200
    or less, noise shouldn't be a problem. Reviewers sometimes latch
    onto obvious differences, and Panasonics have more noise than most
    cameras at high ISOs. But *many* cameras (even DSLRs) allow for the
    use of high ISOs that will produce horribly noisy shots. All
    cameras have some limitations, and Panasonic's is only a problem if,
    as I said, you'll want to take a lot of lot light shots. It that's
    the case, you probably wouldn't be happy with any P&S, and should
    look for a good, low noise DSLR instead. But even they can produce
    noisy shots if you aren't careful.

    Why not try using your new camera for a few days in all kinds of
    typical lighting conditions, both indoors and outdoors, to see what
    *you* think of the camera? Unless you have them printed, it won't
    cost you anything. Whatever noise you get might not even be seen in
    smaller 4"x6" prints, so while a reviewer might be concerned about
    noise appearing in 8"x10", you might not be. Or if you will be
    making large prints, you'll just want to make sure that the pictures
    selected weren't taking in dim lighting conditions.

    ASAAR, Jan 22, 2007

  3. BuzzyBee

    if Guest

    Since you've got it now, surely you can make your mind up for yourself?
    As noted in my response to your other post, try taking some shots and
    printing them out at the size you prefer and see if they're good enough.

    It's easy to be hypercritical when peering closely at your computer
    monitor, but I find the panasonic FX01 is capable of making a perfectly
    sharp A4 print from a well exposed picture. I believe the FX07 has more
    heavy handed noise reduction but I would be surprised if it's much worse
    than the FX01, where the noise is only really evident when you are looking
    for it up close on the computer monitor.

    if, Jan 23, 2007
  4. Why don't you try it and decide for yourself instead of listening to people
    that have nothing more to do than panic over nothing. I have owned several
    Panasonic cameras and have gotten great images from all of them, save the
    super crappy FZ50 which has too aggressive noise reduction.

    ljc

    Little Juice Coupe, Jan 23, 2007
  5. If you want low light never go for a point and shoot. They have too small a
    sensor to do any real justice to low light. You need and dSLR with a very
    fast lens to do low light any kind of justice.

    ljc

    --
    Do not assume that because I didn't reply to your comments that you are
    correct or that I am wrong or that I am correct and your are wrong. You

    Little Juice Coupe, Jan 23, 2007
  6. BuzzyBee

    ASAAR Guest

    If I want good advice, I sure won't get it from you. You
    obviously didn't bother to read what I wrote. Maybe you just need
    to open your eyes a bit more or increase your monitor's brightness.
    That will take care of the "seeing" part, but understanding . . .

    ASAAR, Jan 23, 2007
  7. I have read many reviews about the noise problems with the 7.1MP
    You should be able to set the ISO at 100, or 200, or 50, so that the camera
    never goes into ISO 400 or worse mode. Then, in lowish light, simply take
    pictures with the camera held tight against a firm surface (e.g. on a table
    or against a wall or column). Your pictures will not have the noise/grain
    problem. It helps too to take multiple or consecutive shots, so that you
    get multiple bursts with one press. If you keep the ISO set at something
    below 400 and take multiple shots at a press with the camera firmly
    positioned, you won't get any of the high-ISO noise and you will likely get
    one or more pictures that are great. In fact, taking multiples is always a
    good idea--if you are photographing people one of several shots is always
    best since people constantly shift micro-expressions, besides other things
    that can happen in fractions of seconds when you are taking a picture.

    Douglas W Hoyt, Jan 23, 2007
  8. BuzzyBee

    BuzzyBee Guest

    Thanks for everyone's constructive comments. I wanted a point and
    shoot purely to have something light and small to take around with me
    on a daily basis. I have Nikon digital and film cameras which I use
    for any "proper" photographic and certainly for low light work.

    The reason I haven't rushed out to try it myself yet, is purely for the
    reason that I can't take the camera back once it has been opened and
    used, of course otherwise I would try some test shots myself. I was
    just interested to hear feedback from others who have used the camera
    and your comments have been useful, thank you.

    Jenny

    BuzzyBee, Jan 23, 2007
  9. BuzzyBee

    Toby Guest

    Fuji Finepix F30 or F31fd.

    Toby

    Toby, Jan 23, 2007
  10. Harbin Osteen, Jan 23, 2007
  11. BuzzyBee

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Or F20.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jan 23, 2007
  12. BuzzyBee

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Phil Wheeler, Jan 23, 2007
  13. BuzzyBee

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Phil Wheeler, Jan 23, 2007
  14. BuzzyBee

    SimonLW Guest

    The manufacturers keep stuffing more megapixels on those tiny sensors so you
    either get noise or some form of noise reduction that can do just as much
    damage. The Fujifilm F30 seems to be the best at low noise, though still not
    anything like the large sensor of a dSLR.
    -S

    SimonLW, Jan 23, 2007
  15. BuzzyBee

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Having a Canon EOS 20D, I cannot but agree with
    you. But, shooting jpeg, the differences are not
    as dramatic as I would have supposed. Here is an
    interesting site comparing DSLR results to the
    Fuji F30 P&S as a function of ISO

    http://www.camerahobby.com/Digital_High_ISO.htm

    and there are some F30 vs. 20D ISO comparisons here

    http://www.neocamera.com/review_fuji_f30_crops3.html

    My F20 shoots like an F30 (just no aperture nor
    shutter priority mode) -- and cost me $140 on sale
    a week before Christmas.

    I read in a forum earlier today that Fuji has
    announced the end of F30 production, and the
    successor to the F20 (F40) has already been
    announced. So there may be some good prices on
    the F30 for those who want to add one to their kit.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jan 23, 2007