    be the test. And one can only pray for faster AF...

    Sorry for being a 'news-poster', but thought folks might like to see
    this and start speculating wildly... (O:

    mark.thomas.7, Jul 19, 2006

  2. mark.thomas.7

    minnesotti Guest

    Thanks for the news.

    And... Ahh... Panasonic will go downhill with this pixel race. This
    time, they should have moved from an 8 MP sensor to a 6-7 MP sensor but
    with less noise (larger pixels will give less noise). But they moved
    the opposite way with the introduction of 10 MP. I heard the opinion
    that the semiconductor development procedure is too complex and
    inertial... they might have already realised that the megapixel race is
    over (e.g. with Canon), but they still proceeded with 10MP anyway... it
    takes maybe couple of years to develop a new sensor , and they did not
    want to discard it... and they will still be able to catch an
    unsuspecting Joe Doe with the marketing hype of a higher pixel count.
    Well, 'nuff of rant.

    Hopefully, the next year the pixel race will be over on the Panasonic
    site. That's when I might buy something decent. So far I am happy with
    my LX1. The new LX2 is essentially the same LX1 with the slapped
    software features to make easier the life of a beginner point-n-shooter
    photographer. Image quality-wise, nothing seems to have changed for a
    more skilled photographer... or things even worsened because of
    introduction of 2 more megapixels into the CCD sensor (="more noise").

    minnesotti, Jul 19, 2006

  3. mark.thomas.7

    sally Guest

    wrote in @m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:
    Panasonic claims to have finally fixed their noise problem. That was the
    major complaint that people had about the FZ30, so the FZ50 is certainly
    worth considering if the price is comparable (around $500).

    sally, Jul 19, 2006
  4. mark.thomas.7

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    They can't step backwards on sensor size. They would catch too much flack
    for that. People don't want to go from an 8MP to a 6MP to most consumers
    that is a major step backwards. The general demand of consumers is to
    increase resolution, not decrease it even thought it would make things a
    little better. Personally, I think they would have been better off to stay
    at 8MP but offer other things like DSL like metering. The other thing I
    don't like is that the LCD's have dropped in resolution. I don't see any
    reason for them to do this. The TTL flash would be nice, but not enough for
    me to upgrade from the 30. Personally, I also think it was a mistake to call
    it an FZ50 when at best it was an FZ40. You skip a model number and like
    with software people expect a major upgrade and the 50 is anything but that.

    Hebee Jeebes, Jul 19, 2006
  5. Well, what I saw was this, from Panasonic's marketing department:

    "Furthermore, by dramatically reducing the noise levels that challenged
    its predecessor, the DMC-FZ50 is able to capture 10.1-megapixel full
    resolution images even in high sensitivity recording."

    'Dramatically reduced'? Advertising speak for 'it's a little better,
    we think...' They go on to say that the noise reduction is all from
    the new processing engine. Uhoh!!! Surely if they had made a
    breakthrough in sensor design, they would be shouting from the
    rooftops! This sounds horribly like it will just be stronger, and
    perhaps 'better' de-noise processing. And that is unlikely to be as
    good as the use of a better sensor. We'll see, I guess.

    mark.thomas.7, Jul 21, 2006
  6. And I forgot one other comment... Wonder how many folk there are like
    me, who would not buy this camera for no other reason than it is
    limited by a 35mm wide end...

    Yes, I know there are WA adapters, and I also know how inconvenient
    they are, and how the quality is almost always worse than that afforded
    by a lens designed to do the job.

    If this camera were fitted with say, a 28-300, and it *did* manage to
    improve the noise, I would buy it in a split second.

    mark.thomas.7, Jul 21, 2006
  7. mark.thomas.7

    Guest Guest

    .........welcome to yesterday............

    Guest, Jul 21, 2006
  8. mark.thomas.7

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Or, they should have improved on the 8 megapixel sensor to reduce the
    noise bEFORE moving up to 10MP. I had the FZ30, ad got rid of it. Too
    much noise!

    That's EXACTLY what they're going for.

    Isaiah Beard, Jul 21, 2006
  9. mark.thomas.7

    VK Guest

    Is the lower noise is a result of improved processing algorithm (which
    will have no effect on the RAW image) or have they actually improved
    the sensor noise characteristics? Based on what I read, they claim
    that the improvement is due to the Venus III engine, so it appears to
    be the post-processing/JPEG conversion routine that is better.

    Can anyone comment? I have an LX1, which I love.. and if the RAW image
    is better, I may yet pick up an FZ30 to replace my G6.

    Vandit

    VK, Jul 21, 2006