Panasonic FZ5 Noise Report

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by measekite, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. measekite

    measekite Guest

    This is part of what www.digitalcamerainfo.com actually said that
    alarmed me. If you need smaller aperture and a hand holdable shutter
    speed you have little choice than to shoot at ISO400. And look at what
    they say:

    "the resulting images are fraught with noise and rendered virtually
    unusable"

    I certainly want to know why they said this.

    The 3.52 score still indicates the camera’s difficulty handling noise,
    even when the user sets the sensitivity rating. The issue stems from the
    limited sensitivity ratings offered: 80, 100, 200, and 400. While the
    ISO 80 setting is a fortunate inclusion to ensure that crisp images are
    recorded with utter clarity in abundant lighting (beyond the ISO 100’s
    capabilities), the ISO 200 and 400 settings are completely ineffective.
    As is evident in the chart above, the FZ5 will provide images with
    adequate clarity and definition when the ISO 80 or 100 settings are
    used; however, once it is pushed to ISO 200 or ISO 400, the resulting
    images are fraught with noise and rendered virtually unusable.

    measekite, Apr 11, 2005

  2. I've just been reviewing some FZ20 pictures, and under my viewing
    conditions (a 1280 pixel wide monitor, approximateing a 6 x 4 inch print),
    noise from the ISO 200 images was only just noticeable.

    I would not recommend ISO 400 except under exceptional conditions and,
    even then, I would expect to have to apply noise reduction. If you were
    photographing something where smooth skin tones were required, for
    example, the ISO 400 noise could be unacceptable (as it would be from
    almost any point-and-shoot camera), but if you were photographing a
    one-off event, any images might be considered usable.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 11, 2005