    direct transfers from one Panasonic DMR recorder to another without
    copy blocking (These are not commercial Macrovision protected videos),
    just as we use to copy between VHS decks?

    Jonny Q., Oct 25, 2004

  2. Yes you can. The disks you make yourself are not copy protected. However
    there is a quality reduction as the MPEG2 stream is decoded and recoded
    again.

    If you have a PC, a cheaper and better option is to buy one of the DVD
    burners that handle DVD-RAM. These can be picked up now for less than £50.
    Search for LG GSA-4120. Copies made this way are identical to the original.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Jonny Q.

    Jonny Q. Guest

    Hi Ian,

    Thanks for the information. Since I only need to make one gen copies
    at SP, I should not lose too much quality. However, regarding the
    burner, you have a good idea there. I actually have an Iomega Super
    +- DVD drive that also burns RAM discs. Very handy for data.
    However, it will not recognize the Panasonic DVD-RAM video discs at
    all. Iomega was no help with this. I have tried the method of
    extracting video to my hard drive for archiving, but I found the
    process extremely slow, and it was much easier dubbing from one
    machine to another. Perhaps I just need the right tools. Can I ask
    what DVD extracting-burning software you use? I've been using the
    Iomega Hotburn software. Thanks.

    Jonny Q., Oct 27, 2004
  4. Video DVD-RAM disks are in an oddball format known as UDFR-DR. If the drive
    firmware recognises them, Windows XP will read but not write to the disks.
    This can be a pain when preformatted disks are obtained bacause Windows
    won't allow you to erase them prior to reformatting them. (Roxio's Easy CD
    creator will, but Nero won't).

    A utility such as PowerProducer will write video to the disks and this is
    what I use for Video DVD-RAM, though it does have its idiosyncracies.

    It may be that your Iomega drive predated the appearance of the format.
    Have you checked for a firmware update?

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Oct 28, 2004
  5. Jonny Q.

    Jonny Q. Guest

    Ian, You might have some info on this. Now that faster DVD burners
    have come on the market, there's less demand for the 1-2x speed DVD
    discs that the stand alone Panasonic's and other machines originally
    recommended. I've been having trouble finding DVD-R discs less than
    4-8x. I've gotten mixed feedback on what speed discs the Panasonic's
    will actually work with. Does the disc speed matter, since the
    machine burns in real time? Any brands you prefer? Thanks.

    Jonny Q., Nov 2, 2004