Panasonic DMR newbie - how to burn dvd-rom?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by jason, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. jason

    jason Guest

    3 Dumb questions:

    1. I recorded about 2 hrs worth of old family analog tapes on LP mode
    last night, DVD-RAM. I can't seem to figure out how to get the disk
    to start recording where I left off last night. I tried fast
    forwarding to the spot, but I went to far, and then it stops and takes
    me all the way back to the begining again :) ! Incredibly
    frustrating.

    2. How do you create 'programs' with DVD's. Ie, Stops in the DVD, so
    its not just 1 big long 4 hour thing that I have to fast forward thru.
    Is there a way to divide it up somehow?

    3. For my old analog tapes, is LP good to preserve / watch it
    forever. Or should I really be using SP ( I know this is an age old
    argument, but if its coming from 12 yr old analog VCR tapes anyways,
    is there any benefit to SP over LP).

    TY,
    Jason Shohet

    jason, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Just press Record again, it automatically starts a new
    program - it's NOT a tape, you don't have to position
    the disc to record.
    Press the Stop button, every Record session from a stopped
    state is a seperate program. Abd when you finalize a disc
    you'll get chapter stops as well.
    RAM can be erased someting like 100k times, make some
    tests of various tapes in both speeds and see which one
    looks best...

    ....if I was doing home movies of great personal value
    I'd use xp or sp, if it's just a movie you bought years
    ago and want to archive before the tape goes bad then
    1 tape per sp rather than 2 tapes per LP.

    Write me direct if I can be of more help.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Nov 4, 2003

  3. jason

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: Darrel Christenson
    Date: Mon, Nov 3, 2003 7:44 PM
    Just press Record again, it automatically starts a new
    program - it's NOT a tape, you don't have to position
    the disc to record.
    Press the Stop button, every Record session from a stopped
    state is a seperate program. Abd when you finalize a disc
    you'll get chapter stops as well.
    RAM can be erased someting like 100k times, make some
    tests of various tapes in both speeds and see which one
    looks best...

    ....if I was doing home movies of great personal value
    I'd use xp or sp, if it's just a movie you bought years
    ago and want to archive before the tape goes bad then
    1 tape per sp rather than 2 tapes per LP.

    Write me direct if I can be of more help.

    Darrel :)
    it is an old analog tape, XP would be overkill and I would definitely agree
    with the alternate record mode of SP which will provide high quality transfers.
    Some have commented that, because of the special circuitry in the Panasonics,
    the transfer might even look better than the original.

    FredBillie, Nov 4, 2003
  4. jason

    Nic Guest

    Or use FR mode. I often put 3 hours of recording on and cannot tell between
    that and the SP setting.

    Nic, Nov 4, 2003
  5. jason

    jason Guest

    FR mode? How does that work... Anyhow if I press stop, and then
    think, "I muffed this up. I want to start back earlier" When I hit
    record again, you say it will begin where I left off... But how do I
    tell it to begin at a certain point.

    Thanks again guys!

    Rgds,
    Jason Shohet

    jason, Nov 4, 2003
  6. jason

    Matt Ackeret Guest

    Others responded, but what you really want to do is record the various
    segment(s) to the hard drive.

    Even if you end up with separate recordings (i.e. you're recording it
    in batches), you can then set up a playlist recording to record it to
    DVD-R and end up with one "program" on the DVD-R, as far as I know.
    I don't actually have one of these yet, I'm going to get one sometime
    soon though. (To have another non-videotape recorder along with my Tivo, and
    to use to write DVDs..)
    You can record onto the hard drive separately, and send them to the DVD,
    and they end up as separate items.

    This doesn't counteract with the first answer, that is if you *want* to
    actually merge separate hard drive recordings into one DVD "program".

    You can also add chapter stops that get sent to the DVD-R *IF* you record
    it to the hard drive in the correct mode.. the one that allows you to
    record quickly from hard drive to DVD.

    BTW, you don't say which DMR you have. If it's not the DMR-E80, then
    I suggest you return your existing one and GET an E80. E80 has a hard drive,
    and is only about $100 more than the ones without a hard drive. The
    hard drive adds a lot of usability.. (even though I don't have one yet,
    I've been following them and the previous generations for quite a while.)

    The E80 is about $500 including shipping online nowadays.

    Matt Ackeret, Nov 5, 2003
  7. jason

    Trevor S Guest

    You don't :) Press record, you end up witha couple seperate titles, you
    join them together with a playlist.
    I know, until you stop thinking like you are working with a VCR :)

    You know you can use timelip to "FF" ? Hit the timselip button, hold the
    up arrow, it will cycle to 60mins or 120 mins or whatever you want, then
    hit the enter button "BANG", you're at 60 mins.
    Sure... Use direct navigator to call up the menu,, highlight the title
    you want to divide, hit right arrow, it will bring up another menu, you
    navigate to where you want to divide hit enter and "BANG", one title
    becomes two. Remember you can't join them back together. My suggestion
    record some stuff randomly from TV that you have no interest in, play
    around creating playlists, dividing, partial erasing etc.
    I doubt it. I use LP for VHS and Sat and SP for programs recorded FTA
    (LP has a little bit of a problme with to much analogue noise, on a clean
    signal it does a superb job) My suggestion try a 15 minute section of
    each and see what you are happy with.

    Lots of Panny users here:

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=9bf58e2b567a2187399dfcd131a9393d&forumid=106

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

    Trevor S, Nov 5, 2003
  8. jason

    Trevor S Guest

    (jason) wrote in

    Well say you have a 3 hr tape, you set the rec mode PRIOR to starting to
    record ie FR mode then tell the Panny to record for three hours. This uses
    a variable bitrate to fill the space up. ie it knows how much space you
    have and determins the best bit rate to fill it.
    Not quite sure how you stuff it up, don't you press record on the Panny and
    Play on the VHS tape ? Not alot to stuff up ??? That aside, if you record
    say 50 mins, then stop and want to start again from 40mins, just stop the
    Panny, use direct navigator to trim the bit you want to delete from the -
    RAM disk, rewind the VHS tape, press record on the Panny and Play on the
    VHS deck again. You can tidy up the lead in bits later with the menu from
    direct navigator and create a play list to join the titles together.

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

    Trevor S, Nov 5, 2003
  9. jason

    Trevor S Guest

    (Matt Ackeret) wrote in

    Create a playlist
    High Speed DUB... This does not re-encode. If you go from XP --> SP ,
    chapter stops are lost etc and the title is re-encode at the new bitrate.
    I have an E-30 and an E-100

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein