    stabilizer.

    The new Canon S2 may be the way to go.

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042201canons2is.asp

    heuristics, May 16, 2005

  2. heuristics

    Bill Spanger Guest

    Oh my dog! Another idjit....if you wanted a video cam you should have bought
    a video cam instead of a still camera......video mode on a still camera is a
    defect not a feature.

    Bill Spanger, May 16, 2005

  3. The Panasonic FZ5 is primarily a stills camera and, like all stills
    cameras, has some limitations in video mode. I am sure this is documented
    in the manual.
    I what way was the SOny "far superior"? I have found the image
    stabilisation on the FZ5 (and the FZ20) to be extremely effective and meet
    its claimed 2 - 3 stop gain.

    David

    David J Taylor, May 16, 2005
  4. heuristics

    SteveB Guest

    Does turning off movie audio restore the zoom function? That's how my
    Olympus C750 works, otherwise you get zoom noises recorded.

    SteveB, May 16, 2005
  5. heuristics

    heuristics Guest

    Also: When in the movie mode, as you track your subject, the lens F
    stop is locked at the initial setting that the movie started at.
    Therefore, there is no light compensation for changes of lighting
    level.

    heuristics, May 16, 2005
  6. heuristics

    Ed Bigelow Guest

    So put a Casio P505 in the other pocket - it will zoom in video mode.

    Ed Bigelow, May 16, 2005
  7. heuristics

    measekite Guest

    I would not call it a defect. I do think it is just an add on
    convenience that should not be a significant feature when choosing a
    camera. I am concerned by noise above ISO80 when making A4
    enlargements. To get increased depth of field at a hand holdable
    shutter speed you have to boost the ISO.

    measekite, May 16, 2005
  8. measekite wrote:
    [] I am concerned by noise above ISO80 when making A4
    What depth of field do you want, and therefore what aperture would you
    consider necessary? Remember that the focal length of these cameras is
    very short compared to 35mm, and therefore the depth of field is
    proportionally much larger.

    David

    David J Taylor, May 16, 2005