    silent as it appears both result in the port being added to the channel?

    Cheers
    Andy

    andymacca, Mar 22, 2006

  2. andymacca

    Guest

    I believe the "silent/non-silent" attribute does not refer to the
    presence or absence of PAgP packets. Instead it indicates if the peer
    at the other end will be a source (or not) of BPDUs or other traffic
    having nothing to do with PAgP.

    Thus "auto silent" mode means the port will not initiate port bundling
    using PAgP and also should not expect to receive BPDUs or other traffic
    on that port.

    And "desirable silent" mode would mean that the port will actively try
    and bundle ports into a channel using PAgP but would not expect BPDUs
    or other traffic on that port.

    Cisco da Gama
    http://ciscostudy.blogspot.com

    , Mar 26, 2006