Pages 'hanging' problem...

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Martin D. Pay, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Anyone else have a sudden recent problem with web pages
    hanging/freezing in Mozilla?

    As an example (but not the only one by far) Yahoo's home page is
    fine but click on a news story link and the page invariably
    freezes about halfway through loading; I have to ctrl/alt/del to
    close the browser.

    This problem has only manifested itself in the last 48 hours or
    so (I first noticed it when I logged on yesterday - Monday 23 Feb
    - morning) in both Mozilla 1.5 and 1.6 (the latter downloaded and
    installed tonight specifically to test this point). There have
    been no other changes to my system (hardware or software) at all.
    I have Norton Antivirus, Norton Personal Firewall and Ad-Aware
    installed on my ADSL connection but none have reported any
    problems or intrusions.

    FWIW, IE5.5 does not demonstrate this problem.

    System specs - MSI mobo, Athlon 1.3 CPU, W98SE, 512MB Crucial
    RAM. I use Mozilla for web browsing and Forte's Agent for mail
    and news - no MS products are allowed to touch the internet on my
    system except for testing purposes.

    There doesn't appear to be any mention of this problem on the
    Bugzilla pages (although the pages are a trifle technical!). I'll
    attempt to post a bug report there if necessary, although a lot
    of the data they ask for is beyond my skill to obtain/supply
    (deconstruct pages to identify rogue components?!? Say what?)

    Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received.

    Martin D. Pay
    Puzzled...

    Martin D. Pay, Feb 24, 2004

  2. No problem here in navigating Yahoo, Moz 1.7a or FF0.8. News pages load
    in a second.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Martin D. Pay

    dantu Guest

    No problems here as well

    Have you tried clearing your cache and history?

    dantu, Feb 25, 2004
  4. Hmm...

    <pause to do so>

    OK, that seems to have worked. I wonder why that happened?

    Must clearly delete cache and history content on a regular
    basis...

    Martin D. Pay
    Grateful for the pointer...

    Martin D. Pay, Feb 25, 2004
  5. Martin D. Pay

    dantu Guest

    Martin

    Um, why what happened? <g>

    Please dont snip posts or edit them, cause it makes it quite difficult
    to adjudge just what you are speaking of.

    Some people DO advocate clearing cache and history on a more or less
    regular basis (at least on Windows machines), but I have never found it
    to be necessary. Mebbe I'm just not doing it 'right' <g>

    dantu, Feb 25, 2004