    My pagefile.sys is 586 MB and it's in my root directory. It's in hidden
    mode and being used and I can't delete it.

    What do I do?

    geermeister, Sep 18, 2005

  2. geermeister

    old jon Guest

    You could,
    1 leave it alone.
    2 Get some more ram memory.
    3 Go here and have a read,
    www.experts-exchange.com/ Operating_Systems/Q_20338720.html
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Sep 18, 2005

  3. geermeister

    why? Guest

    Wow mine was 1.14GB the other day, in the root directory as well , and
    oddly enough hidden and in use (while Windows is running) and I can't
    delete it either (well I can actually).
    0) Leave it alone.
    1) Wait and read the other similar answers you are going to get saying
    the same sort of thing.
    2) www.google.com if you think (2) is slow
    3) ditto (2) http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
    4) If it's Win NT4/Win 2000/Win XP , Start | Help
    lookup pagefile and/or virtual memory

    Me

    why?, Sep 18, 2005
  4. That would also increase the swapfile after a short time if it has been set
    to default (manage by windows).
    Who needs to pay for that.
    Just rightclick on the workplace icon - either in start menu or on desktop -
    and select properties -> advanced -> performance options. Then do what you
    want with the pagefile settings, but don't forget to commit. Next restart
    and OPs pagefile will be rebuilt with the specified size on the specified
    place (like a 2nd drive). It makes not much sense to put the swapfile to
    another partition on the same drive though, since that just increases head
    movements.

    Walter Mautner, Sep 18, 2005