Page File size - I've been thinkinig.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Lord Turkey Cough, Oct 14, 2007.

  1. Yes, was just a joke really, you might recognise it from the end of this :O)

    That 10 gig didn't seem a lot when I added my new 250 gig drive ;O)

    Lord Turkey Cough, Oct 16, 2007

  2. Lord Turkey Cough

    John Guest

    Letting Windows manage the size is a good idea. The only other
    suggestion I would make is to put the swap/page file in its own
    partition to prevent fragmentation. An even better solution is to put it
    in its own partition on a different hard drive than the drive where the
    OS is located, obviously the faster the drive the better. If running
    Windows turn off indexing and system restore on a dedicated page file
    partition as it serves no purpose and just slows down access to the page
    file.

    John

    John, Oct 21, 2007

  3. OK then 10 days on from the above post and all has been fine, not one crash
    or lock up. I can go down to my last 250 meg of ram sometimes but there
    is so much stuff running, that I would need a faster CPU before I needed
    more Ram.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Oct 27, 2007
  4. Lord Turkey Cough

    kony Guest

    Again I remind you that used memory <> total allocated
    memory. When you open an app it reserves a certain amount
    more than used, so when you use that app if you do something
    demanding it will exceed your real memory expectations.

    Maybe your use isn't so demanding and thus you can get away
    with this running without a pagefile, but many can't.
    Mainly I suggest that if/when you receive an out of memory
    type message, an abrupt app termination, or a bluescreen,
    that the first attempt at resolution be to re-enable the vm
    pagefile.

    I write this having traveled down that road, that things so
    seem to work fine until you run something that needs this vm
    allocation and when it can't get it, it crashes.

    kony, Oct 27, 2007