Page file on 64 Bit System

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jon Mitchell, Nov 19, 2009.

  1. Jon Mitchell

    Jon Mitchell Guest

    Hi.

    Just a quick question. Does anybody have any idea as to what the recommended
    page files size should be for a 64 bit Windows 7 system with 8Gb of RAM?
    Would it be old 1.5 x that RAM formula or is this different on a 64 bit
    system?

    Ta.
    --
    BadHead :)
    ---

    OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
    Office Suite: Microsoft Office 2003 Professional SP3

    Motherboard: Asus Crosshair (BIOS Revision: 1103)
    CPU: AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core 9850 Black Edition
    RAM: 8Gb
    GPU: Asus ENGTX280 nVidia 280
    HDD: 2.50TB (Over 5 SATAII Western Digital HDD's)
    ===

    Jon Mitchell, Nov 19, 2009

  2. There is no rule of thumb or recommended size for 64-bit machines with
    large amounts of RAM, you should monitor pagefile usage and then set
    your pagefile accordingly.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889654
    How to determine the appropriate page file size for 64-bit versions of
    Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP

    John

    John John - MVP, Nov 19, 2009

  3. Jon Mitchell

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Jon.

    Why not let Win7 manage the page file?

    I've not manually set a page file in at least a couple of years - in WinXP,
    Vista and Win7, all x64 except for an occasional reboot into x86. I've been
    running Win7 Ultimate x64 for over a year (including the pre-beta) with 4
    GB, and have had no problems with letting Win7 manage virtual memory. In
    fact, I haven't even looked at my page file settings since installing Win7
    RTM in August.

    In the olden days, I used to be sure to put the page file on a second HDD so
    that the system could read from/write to my application and the page file
    simultaneously. My system now has 2 standalone drives, where several
    Windows versions are installed, plus a 2-drive Raid 1 mirror holding several
    data volumes. (Just now, I checked my settings and saw that my page file is
    on Drive C:, my Win7 Boot Volume on the first standalone HDD. I changed the
    setting to System Managed on both C: and F:, the first partition on the
    other standalone HDD, but haven't rebooted, so the change hasn't taken
    effect yet. If this creates a problem, I'll come back and post an update.)

    We all use Windows differently, of course, and I've never had more than 4
    GB, so your experience could be much different from mine. What do you have
    or do that would not work correctly if you let Win7 manage your page file?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 19, 2009
  4. Jon Mitchell

    bluefin Guest

    Hi,

    For more efficient utilization of CPU, set to its 'recommended
    allocated'.

    Cheers.

    bluefin, Nov 23, 2009