    NAV 2004. This system does not have XP SP2 applied.

    How 'bout some clues? Thanks.

    Hoib

    HOIB, Nov 27, 2004

  2. snip HTML poop

    Does he have 128 bit cipher strength? Check the security settings in
    Control Panel>Internet Options>Advanced, scroll down to Security. Are
    the boxes checked for SSL2 and 3? Check those for starters.

    Oh, and please turn off the HTML in pllain-text groups.

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 27, 2004

  3. HOIB

    °Mike° Guest

    Please turn off the HTML. This is a text only news group.

    °Mike°, Nov 27, 2004
  4. HOIB

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Nov 27, 2004
  5. HOIB

    Capri Guest

    What security software are you running Norton Util, McAfee?
    I had a similar problem when I installed Norton Internet Security. I
    had to eventually uninstall the program and everything worked fine
    again.

    Capri, Nov 27, 2004
  6. They are only pretending to be. It makes no matter to me.

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 27, 2004
  7. HOIB

    Dodo Guest

  8. HOIB

    HOIB Guest

    Hopefully HTML has been turned off - what was I thinking! - thanks for the
    warning.

    Here's a synopsis of what we've done so far today. I don't live in the same
    town as the user. As soon as you try something "secure", like a log in to
    Hotmail, purchasing something, this error says "Page cannot be displayed" -
    at the bottom it says "Cannot find server or DNS error". The error page
    replaces the page from which we invoke the secure session. You can jump
    "back" to the source page. It appears reliably/instantly - no waiting. I
    don't think that the server on the other end is isn't even touched. Because
    I've even tried a completely false username and password (Hotmail for
    example) and the response is the same every time with the same speed -
    instantaneous!

    Checked for an bogus or erroneous proxy server setup - none found.

    Tools - Internet Options - checked SSL 2 & 3 - were turned on, left them on.

    Tools - Internet Opt - cleared cookies, temp internet files.

    Help - About - Encryption set at 128 bit

    Tools - Internet Opt - Content - Clear SSL state

    Tools - Internet Opt - Content - Autocomplete - Hit 2 buttons - Clear
    Forms/Passwords - No checks for any autocomplete functions.

    Tools - Internet Opt - Security - All zone set to default vals.

    Firewall - none installed, not activated in XP Home

    Brought up a command prompt and ran regsvc32 (xxxx) where "xxxx" is
    substituted for several .DLLs including softpub, cryptdlg, initpki and a
    half dozen I can't remember.

    Ran sfc /scannow - found zero.

    Rescanned with AdAware SE & SpyBot S&D 1.2 - fresh ref files all around.

    Norton AV - this sys was working fine with Norton AV fully config'd until
    about 2 weeks ago when "something" happened. Updated pattern file installed
    today - rescanned with no virii found.

    I'm very sure this user uses this comp very simply. Doesn't install any
    shareware/freeware. Does no CD or DV burning, no multimedia work (though he
    could if he knew how). Basically does some routine menial AOL e-mail and a
    few Word documents. Not a heavy duty power user.

    I appreciate everyone's time and responses. I'll post back with any results
    from tomorrow's efforts.

    Hoib

    Hello group.

    Here's a situation I've never run into. Computer (practically brand new)
    running XP Home, user has AOL as his ISP (I know, I know...) Anyway, a
    problem has developed with surfing the web. Say he wants to go to Yahoo.com
    or Hotmail.com. It goes there fine opens the page no problem. But when he
    attempts to log in with Username/password on these or ANY website requiring
    these, he gets "Page cannot be displayed" - instantly by the way. This
    occurs in either AOLs interface or if we launch IE 6.0 and try it that way.

    I just know this is a security setting of some kind but I just can't figure
    out which one and how it needs to be set: Is it in Internet Explorer? I've
    looked all over Tools/Internet Options/General and Advanced. Is it a
    setting in XP Home itself? He is the sole user and has Admin rights.
    Again, he can surf to and through any site, it's the Uname/password thing
    that's got us stumped.

    I thought this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238550) might be the answer
    here but he CAN surf to any site. It's just when he tries a
    username/password entry that it responds with "page cannot be displayed".
    There was a time not too long ago when this was not the behavior. Very
    mysterious. BTW, we have scanned with the latest AdAware and SpyBot S&D,

    HOIB, Nov 28, 2004