    modem? Anyone done this? Did it work?

    Cheers,
    Dave

    David Preece, Jan 6, 2004

  2. David Preece

    Bok Guest

    I have generally been very pleased with the service in my 2+ years of
    usage. The only real problem I observed early on was a tendency to over
    rate traffic usage, which I suspect was due to rounding errors in the billing
    algorithms that tended to over rate usage for unsolicited junk traffic
    (even with CM powered off). As far as I can tell
    this issue has been resolved (to my satisfaction at least).

    Last time I checked a cable modem connection was more economical than an
    equivalent ADSL connection and certainly less problematic as far as I can
    tell after lurking on the ADSL and broadband lists for a couple of years.
    A static IP address is a great boon, especially if you want to run your
    own servers.

    I run my own mail server, Paradise.net (our ISP) provide mail bagging and
    secondary DNS (no extra charge)- I've had no problems with either.

    No personal experience with gaming, but whenever I've looked over the shoulder
    of my son or his mates playing network games on a PC or his X-Box they
    appear to be achieving very good real-time responsiveness (and he hasn't complained to me, which has
    to be a good sign)....

    Bok, Jan 6, 2004

  3. David Preece

    SomebodyElse Guest

    I was told when I got mine that the _only_ option was to hire theirs
    (nearly a year ago)

    I wasn't very happy about _having to hire_ it at the time, but
    at $17 per month I figured that by the time I'd paid the full price of it
    in rental there'd be something faster that I'd want to switch to anyway!

    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, Jan 6, 2004
  4. David Preece

    harry Guest

    Welcome back David
    We had a discussion here about this a while ago and one poster went to the
    trouble of asking Telstra Clear about whether they would connect a cable
    modem provided by the customer and the answer was no, unfortunately.

    harry, Jan 6, 2004
  5. David Preece

    Bok Guest

    When I signed up for cable modem with Telstra/Saturn in 2001 I was
    informed via authoritive contacts in the organisation there was a plan to
    eventually allow users to provide their own DOCSIS compliant Cable Modems,
    at least in those areas where DOCSIS CMTS equipment was installed (e.g.
    Christchurch). That was one reason why the $17 CM hire was listed separately.

    Since that time T/S became Telstra/Clear and management policy on this may have
    changed. However, as far as I'm aware they still don't permit you to connect your
    own CM at this time - someone checked this with T/C and reported back to the ng
    late last year.

    Bok, Jan 6, 2004
  6. David Preece

    Palm Guest

    I called TC late last week and was informed that they still do not allow you
    to use your own cable modem and that things are likely to change mid-year
    .... but then again they were saying xmas when I joined with them last year
    .... so i aint holding my breath. Are people out there satisfied with the TC
    cable service ... any hiccups with mail/news servers ... how is gaming??
    Looking at taking the plunge soon. Any comments appreciated ...J

    Palm, Jan 6, 2004

  7. In the US that would be illegal, you must be able to use your own modem..

    Robert Mathews, Jan 6, 2004
  8. David Preece

    SomebodyElse Guest

    I'd never go back to dial up (given a choice)
    Haven't had any hiccups with anything at all, maybe the odd slow day, but
    nothing major. I don't do online gaming though, so I can't comment on
    that one.

    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, Jan 6, 2004
  9. David Preece

    ¢_£¥ºÑ Guest

    Hmm, interesting. . .
    Ever since I came to oz from NZ, I swore to myself I'd never go back to
    dialup.
    I'm on cable here in oz and always wondered how broadband ISP's supplied
    their customers with cable modem's.
    For me, I had to sign a 12 month contract and they threw in a Motorola
    SB4100 cable modem and a network card. The SB4100 has support for either USB
    or NIC.
    At the end of my contract I was allowed to keep the modem.
    That was almost 3 years ago.
    About a year ago, I ended my contract and went shopping around for better
    options with regards to broadband ISP's.
    I live a wee bit to far from the phone exchange for ADSL so I decided to
    take on cable again.
    When they re-connected me they asked if I still had my old cable modem. I
    told them no, I didn't, ( /me crosses fingers and hides them behind my
    back ).
    I'm the proud owner of 2 Motorola cable modem's, a SB4100 and a SB4200.
    Only problem though is that I had to pay for another NIC, if I wanted one,
    which I refused to buy 'cause I still had my old one.
    If cable ISP's in NZ can handle a Motorola SB4100, I got one for sale, lol.
    .. .

    ¢_£¥ºÑ, Jan 6, 2004
  10. David Preece

    Rob Singers Guest

    Robert Mathews startled all and sundry by ejaculating the following words
    of wisdom
    Perhaps you could move there. Everyone else is quite happy not to be under
    the US legal system.

    Rob Singers, Jan 6, 2004
  11. David Preece

    Invisible Guest

    I'd chip in $10 for his airfare.

    ;-)

    Invisible, Jan 6, 2004
  12. David Preece

    David Preece Guest

    Wow. Of all the responses I had expected to get, that was not one of
    them. My absence was missed? This is usenet - the famously pseudo
    anonymous "drain" of the Internet. All I ever seemed to do was rant
    about Microsoft :)

    So, thanks.

    BTW, I'm trying to tone back the MS hating - New Year's resolution. But
    I *am* becoming an increasingly rabid Mac fanboy :)
    That's vaugely what I had thought. I think they configure up the rate
    limiting at the "edge" of the network - i.e. on my cable modem - and
    breaking the management interface would obviously not go down all that well.

    Oh well, it was worth asking. And perhaps next time I'll have the good
    manners to google for it first :)

    Cheers,
    Dave

    David Preece, Jan 7, 2004
  13. David Preece

    steve Guest

    David Preece allegedly said:
    It's not an option they offer.

    You need to rent their modems as far as I know......

    steve, Jan 7, 2004
  14. David Preece

    steve Guest

    Nope.....

    steve, Jan 7, 2004
  15. David Preece

    steve Guest

    Rob Singers allegedly said:
    What legal system?

    It's been replaced by the "Bush-Crony System".

    steve, Jan 7, 2004
  16. David Preece

    steve Guest

    David Preece allegedly said:
    Mac are just as proprietary as MS...and less responsive.

    Try buying Quicktime Pro legally in NZ...and you'll see what I mean.

    Oh they have it on the web site: "Upgrade now!"

    But you wuickly find out that you can't actually - legally - buy it if
    you're located in New Zealand.

    It's been that way for 2 years at least - and still is that way today ...and
    they have done nothing to address it.

    When I found that out, it reminded me of all the OLD complaints you used to
    hear from mac-heads about Apple would be so much more successful if they
    just listened to their customers.

    Mac OS X looks awesome......but it's just another WinXP-like proprietary
    leg-iron.

    steve, Jan 7, 2004
  17. David Preece

    harry Guest

    The rate limiting is at the modem, and its set by tftp I believe.
    There are hacks out there to trick it

    harry, Jan 7, 2004
  18. David Preece

    pete Guest

    I reckon you are right. Iposted a while back about the Com21 modems having
    a plug in the back with a 4 pin header behind it. I was told that Tesltra
    use that interface to set the speed, and no, they won't tell you how to do
    it.

    pete, Jan 8, 2004
  19. David Preece

    Jake Collins Guest

    TelstraClear rep told me March on the phone last night.

    Jake Collins, Jan 9, 2004
  20. David Preece

    John Guest

    I wonder if the cable modem presently on rental will be offered for
    sale to existing subscribers? I would certainly be interested in
    purchasing the modem if a deduction was given for previous rental
    payments.

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Jan 9, 2004