Overwhelmed with information-camera choices

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dutch, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Dutch

    Dutch Guest

    Hey all;
    My trusty Olympus C-4000 has given me enough control to come a long
    way in terms of the basics of photography. Now I've come into some
    money (and I'll admit I'm feeling a bit power hungry) so I've been
    looking at the next level of cameras.

    At this point I'm suffering from extreme information overload!

    Basically I want to move into pro-level photography (in terms of
    complete control of the image). My current framework is basically...
    -$800-$1,200 range
    -5+ megapixels
    -TTL (Through the lens) viewfinder or EVF
    -Simple manual focus control (like that nice ring on the Fuji Finepix
    S5000)

    I'd also love to have an external flash hotshoe.

    Cameras I'm considering are...

    Nikon Coolpix 5700 (though it seems awfully pricy now)
    Fuji Finepix S7000 (Due out in October)-no external flash that I can
    tell <sigh>.
    Canon "Rebel" EOS300D

    Any input or other suggestions would be welcome.

    Thanks

    It's just a dream...now go back to sleep!

    Dutch

    Dutch, Sep 13, 2003

  2. Dutch

    JK Guest

    Except if he wants to shoot wide angle, then he is out of luck. Most
    choices for wide angle on the 10D are expensive. While the kit
    lens seems quite slow, it does fill an important void that is otherwise
    expensive to fill.

    JK, Sep 13, 2003

  3. Dutch

    Dutch Guest

    Except if he wants to shoot wide angle, then he is out of luck. Most
    Weird, I don't see Todd's post at all. Only yours with his in quotes.

    Anyway, thanks for the replies, it's helping me cut through the mess
    of information. People seem sharply divided about the kit lens
    though. What exactly makes it such a terrible deal? How slow is it?

    Dutch, Sep 14, 2003
  4. Dutch

    JK Guest

    JK, Sep 14, 2003
  5. Dutch

    Sexy Susan Guest

    JK, I am surprised at you. I thought you were a low-light loyalist?
    How could you even suggest that slow kit lens?

    Sexy Susan, Sep 14, 2003
  6. Dutch

    JK Guest

    The C4000 has an f2.8 lens though, so figure a 2 stop difference
    in the ISO you would need at max telephoto. So if you used
    100 ISO with the C4000, you would need 400 ISO on the
    300D, assuming the lenses are used wide open. If you used
    400 ISO on the C4000, you would need 1600 ISO on the 300D.
    Of course the will be depth of field differences. For $70 additional,
    you could also get a 50mm f1.8 lens to go with the 300D.

    JK, Sep 14, 2003
  7. Dutch

    JK Guest

    If you get the 18-55mm lens, then the 55-200 zoom might
    be a better choice than the 28-135mm?

    JK, Sep 15, 2003
  8. Dutch

    Dutch Guest

    If you get the 18-55mm lens, then the 55-200 zoom might
    I was leaning towards the 28-135 mostly because of the image
    stabilization.

    Dutch, Sep 15, 2003