    roughly the same price let me know.
    Thanks in advance
    Pavlos

    Pavlos Olziersky, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Pavlos Olziersky

    Mark Herring Guest

    The good news is that there are lots of choices. The bad news
    is......(you get the picture)

    First: What size prints do you want to make? This is one thing that
    is really different about digital--you have to know this up front.

    Almost anything out there will do good 4x6
    For 8X10, you can get "adequate" pix out of 2-3Mp, but 4-5 will be a
    lot better.

    Right now, anything under about $100 per Mpixel may have some
    shortcomings. For $300, get the best lens you can find---at least 3X
    zoom and f/2.8 or lower.

    I have the Canon A40 2Mp, and would not heistate to recommend its
    older cousin--the 3Mp A70
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Dec 6, 2003

  3. Pavlos Olziersky

    Guest Guest

    there are almost simultaneous posts by people asking the same question.
    search or scan for messages asking for
    "help buying .."
    "megapixel...
    "3mp.."
    "choosing my first digital..." choices .. best brand... quality.. reliable..
    easy to use... point and shoot ... 4x6.... good prints.. snapshots...
    recommend.. suggest...

    [or whatever words work for you]

    scan down this newsgroup's messages and see useful looking link in a reply
    to very recent message ".. one page buying guide..."

    Guest, Dec 6, 2003
  4. Pavlos Olziersky

    Mark Johnson Guest

    Seems like the 'elmo' toy of 2003.

    The chain store point and shoot versions might work fine for record
    photos, snapshots.

    The somewhat less compact digicams might present more options and
    allow you to zoom in more, get cleaner photos, adjust for lighting,
    etc, when you need to learn about that. I've had luck with the
    discontinued Olympus 4040 and 5050. Others might recommend that Canon
    G3, and so on. Others might recommend Nikon. The old 995 was known for
    producing good looking photos.

    But while not really portable, by today's standards, the old cameras -
    SLRs - have digital counterparts. And I don't think you'll get better
    results, or 'keeper photos', more with a 4+MP digicam, than a 4+MP
    digital SLR. The problem, though, is that dSLRs are three to four
    times the price of the fixed lens, built-in zoom digicams. So. And,
    for example, the supposed best of the bunch, the Canon dSLRs
    apparently are known for producing soft photos out of the box,
    generally not to people's taste. But I think it can be sharpened even
    in the camera, not even requiring computer software.

    Mark Johnson, Dec 6, 2003
  5. Pavlos,

    Get yourself a good, decent "starter" three-megapixel camera. I'd recommend
    the Nikon CoolPix 3100, a camera that is easy to use yet produces
    excellent-quality pictures.

    If you're willing to go to four-megapixel camera the new Minolta DiMAGE G400
    might be a good choice, too.

    Raymond Chuang, Dec 6, 2003
  6. Pavlos Olziersky

    Ed Kirstein Guest

    You might go with the Canon A70 since it costs the same as the Nikon but has
    manual as well as automatic settings.
    Ed

    Ed Kirstein, Dec 6, 2003
  7. Pavlos Olziersky

    John Doe Guest

    Canon s230 3mp from amazon, $270. Does great video too. You can drop it,
    and it will still keep on ticking.

    John Doe, Dec 6, 2003
  8. Ha! I've been looking in the Imaging Resource, and the first review I
    printed out,
    for the Pentax subcompact Optio S4, was 22 pages. Of which I wanted to
    read the whole lot.

    Anthony Buckland, Dec 6, 2003
  9. Pavlos Olziersky

    Teffy Smith Guest

    The best way I know to narrow the field is to use the Buying Guide:
    Features Search at http://dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
    You can specify desired features, price, etc. or leave blank the ones
    you don't care/know about. Once you reduce the number of models to a
    manageable amount, then look at reviews.

    Teffy

    Teffy Smith, Dec 6, 2003
  10. ....such of great feedback.
    Pavlos

    Pavlos Olziersky, Dec 6, 2003
  11. However, there has been many complaints here about the subpar build quality
    of the A70 and the fact the camera's focusing quality leaves something to be
    desired. I'll stick to the Nikon CoolPix 3100, thank you very much. :)

    Raymond Chuang, Dec 6, 2003