Overseas computer parts online retailers that ship to NZ

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nil Einne, May 1, 2005.

  1. Nil Einne

    Nil Einne Guest

    Hey all,

    I'm looking for overseas computer part retailers that ship to NZ.
    Preferbly ones that you've had experience with or otherwise feel are
    reliable. I'm mainly looking for ones that have decent (i.e. no more
    than 1-2 weeks, cheap but insured) shipping options to NZ and a
    resonable method of payment (e.g. don't require me to wire transfer it
    and and charge an extra $25 or whatever on top of the bank fees I'd
    have to pay to wire transfer).

    So far, I've come across 3 that fit into this category.

    AusPCmarket in Australia who I've heard are good but unfortunately
    seem to have somewhat limited selection and seem to be ignoring my
    e-mails. They ship by normal post but it's insured
    ExcaliberPCs who also ship by normal mail but are unfortunetely
    relaunching their site and it won't be up again until late May or June
    Overclockers.co.uk who also ship by normal mail but unfortunately for
    what I'm looking at it says it exceeds their shipping tables and there
    doesn't appear to be any way to contact them other then by phone

    I may have found a way to contact oc.uk and I'm going to try
    auspcmarket but I'd appreciate I'd be good if I had other options.
    Aussie ones may be well worth a look but anything which you think is
    worth mentioning is fine. Heck even www.werippeopleoff.com.ng is okay
    although I'd probably just ignore it.

    BTW, suggestions of stores that only ship via (expensive) courier,
    e.g. TigerDirect are also welcome altho I'm probably not going to use
    them.

    P.S. I'm aware of all the GST and stuff and I don't want to debate or
    explain why I'm looking for overseas retailers

    Nil Einne, May 1, 2005

  2. Nil Einne

    Daniel Guest

    For US retailers I look for them on www.resellerratings.com.

    The Better Business Bureau (www.bbbonline.org) can also be a helpful
    place (from memory, I think TigerDirect got a few bad reports recently).

    Daniel, May 1, 2005

  3. Nil Einne

    David Butler Guest

    Most American Shops will not sell to NZ, as it it causes problems with
    warranties .

    even amazon do not sell certain things, I tried to buy them for me in the
    past.

    David Butler, May 4, 2005
  4. Nil Einne

    d Guest

    Hmmm, dunno about that, but I've had heaps of problems with them not
    accepting foreign credit cards. Probably because of the perceived
    higher fraud rate. I think the retailers are also charged more by their
    banks to do it.

    D.

    d, May 5, 2005
  5. . Why not get a local business to order it for you ? Should take care of all
    the hassle ... shouldn't it ?

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 8, 2005
  6.
    Bruce Sinclair, May 9, 2005
  7. Nil Einne

    d Guest

    Yes bruce, but for a saving of NZ$1000, I can usually stomach a little
    hassle myself.

    I don't mind supporting local business, but not when I'm being gouged by
    the greedy bastards.

    When I can import two items for the cost that a single item being sold
    locally, I'll do some homework, and shop overseas.

    D.

    d, May 9, 2005
  8.
    Bruce Sinclair, May 9, 2005
  9. Nil Einne

    d Guest

    We agree? My dog, that's gotta be a usenet first ! :)
    Oh, always ask the question.

    I usually go through a through 'research phase' before the big purchase,
    where I check out, and decide on exactly what I want, then shop around
    the world to figure out how much it's gonna cost me, factoring in things
    like a ton of grief when importing. Usually it's worth it.

    I realise that we're basically at the end of the world down here, but I
    find it hard to believe that overseas retailers can exist on margins,
    while the exact same model here, costs, sometimes double.

    Thanks for your offer, but unfortunately, I'm not looking to import
    anything at the moment (got enough toys) (Did I say that?) I think the
    original thread starter has dropped out, leaving us to chat among
    ourselves.

    Still, it's been a nice chat.

    D.

    d, May 9, 2005
  10. Nil Einne

    d Guest

    Sorry, I didn't mean between us specifically, I meant in a more general
    'two people chatting on usenet and not arguing' sense.
    Me too, it's the only way to learn.
    Oh, at the beginning yes, probably not by the end of it all.

    Perhaps it has to do with my Scottish ancestry. You can't breed out
    thousands of years of evolution in a mere generation or two. :)

    Come to think of it, the phrase 'Tighter than a duck's arse' has been
    mentioned more than once.
    Hmmmmmm, doesn't *sound* like something I'd say ?

    D.

    d, May 11, 2005
  11.
    Bruce Sinclair, May 11, 2005
  12. Get a US address
    http://www.usabox.com/

    Nathan Mercer, May 13, 2005
  13. Nil Einne

    Richard Guest

    Still have issues with paying, at $25NZ and $25US for bank transfer fees, its
    gotta be a damn good deal to be worthwhile.

    Paypal went and ruined there usefullness with all the buyer protection rubbish
    that allows people to chargeback and rip off the vendors. bidpay will only send
    a money order if its an auction, and I tried making up auction details and they
    canceled the order.

    Richard, May 15, 2005