Outsourced to India

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Toolman Tim, Jun 14, 2006.

  1. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Toolman Tim, Jun 14, 2006

  2. Don't be too hasty to judge. I saw a 10 or 15 minute news article on TV
    a few months ago about this. According to that, the hospitals in India,
    Phillipines and other neighboring countries were completely up to or
    surpassing American medical standards. AND - they looked and functioned
    more like a 4 star hotel than a hospital. Even had swimming pools with
    lounge chairs, palm trees swaying in the breeze, the ocean in the
    background. All at a fraction of the cost of American rip-off medical
    care. Everyone they interviewed had high praise for them. They said
    something along the lines of you don't feel like you're on a conveyor
    belt going through a factory, you feel like they want to pamper you and
    make sure everything goes well.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 14, 2006

  3. Toolman Tim

    Martik Guest

    I've heard laser eye surgery is approx $300 in Bogotá, of course you may not
    come back and follow-up appts would be a problem.

    Martik, Jun 14, 2006
  4. Toolman Tim

    Meat Plow Guest

    A friend had a probelm that she went to several doctors to have diagnosed
    and fixed but everyone drug their feet. Meanwhile she suffered greatly. I
    found a doctor at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio who looked at her and in
    ten minutes diagnosed her and scheduled her for surgery. This was back in
    March and now she is doing well. Oh BTW her sugery was done by an Iraqi.
    The moral to the story, don't typecast people because they were born
    somewhere other than the US.

    Meat Plow, Jun 14, 2006
  5. Toolman Tim

    Pennywise Guest

    |> I'm not one to say that outsourcing tech support overseas is wrong, but I
    |>think I'd draw the line at surgery:
    |>
    |>http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=B0200660612053

    Guy had a venereal disease, he went to India to see if a doctor there
    could help him.

    During the examination the guy said all the other doctors want'd to
    cut off his member, the Indian laugh'd "those American doctors always
    after your money, just wait a week and it will fall off".

    Pennywise, Jun 14, 2006
  6. I'll go.

    I've been through a slew of doctors in my time, about 10 of them since
    1994. All of them were American born and educated and all of them missed
    the diagnosis--one even diagnosed me with MS instead, although for
    awhile he thought I was plain crazy (that was when I told him I felt
    like I had ants crawling under my skin). Finally, after all the MRIs,
    CAT scans, and appointments with a neurologist and an opthamologist, I
    saw a new doctor, and the first thing I said to him was, "I want a
    thyroid panel, and I want it now." He just shook his head, looked sad
    and said, "I don't think that's the problem."

    He did the tests to pacify me and he was stunned--but did not
    apologize--when the results came back. Even then, he did not prescribe
    adequate medication to make me well.

    Ultimately, it was an *Indian* endocrinologist who prescribed the
    correct medication in the correct dosage, and thereafter she monitored
    my condition carefully in case the medication needed to be adjusted (as
    it often did). She saved my life, because by the time I saw her, I was
    very close to lapsing into myxedema coma, which has a better than 60%
    fatality rate.

    At one time, I had 20/10 vision in both eyes, but I don't anymore, and
    it's all the result of thyroid eye disease. I have other residual
    damage, but it's only noticeable to me.

    As I said, I'll go. Happily.

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    Insisting on perfect safety is for people
    without the balls to live in the real world.
    Mary Shafer Iliff

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jun 14, 2006
  7. Drugging feet -- that's for podiatrists. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 14, 2006