Outlook sent e-mail blocked by Symantec AV for SMTP Gateways - malformed mime file.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rush Wickes, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Rush Wickes

    Rush Wickes Guest

    I have been having trouble with getting e-mails through to a state agency
    ever since they implemented Symantec Antivirus for SMTP Gateways last year.
    I am using Outlook 2002 (on a Windows 2000 OS) to send my messages, but they
    are getting blocked at that end by the Symantec program with the explanation
    of:

    02-Mar-2004 13:41:51 Action: Scan Error From: To:

    Subject: Test of white list. Size: 5069 SMTP ID: M2004030213415022766
    Info: Message could not be scanned completely. Scan Status: 56 - Malformed
    MIME file.

    (Note, I have changed the from and to attributes to deter spam harvesting)

    What exactly is "56 - Malformed Mime File"? I'm aware that the mime file
    issue is limited to Outlook and Outlook Express mail clients, but is there
    any way to correct this problem of having e-mail automatically flagged at
    the recipient end as being bad? They have even entered my e-mail address
    and domain on the 'white list' in Symantec, but that still has the same
    result. I should add that I've been able to send them e-mail through our
    web mail interface without complication, so it would seem the problem is
    limited to Outlook.

    Any thoughts?

    Rush Wickes, Mar 7, 2004

  2. Rush Wickes

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Rush Wickes

    Rush Wickes Guest

    The document says in part:

    "AV for SMTP processes email according to MIME standards. AV for SMTP
    handles malformed email that does not conform to MIME standards in one of
    three ways."

    Is there anything I can do at my end to check my Outlook system to make sure
    it is meeting these vague 'MIME standards'?

    Rush Wickes, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Rush Wickes

    °Mike° Guest

    Make sure that your Windows Updates are current.
    Make sure that you have the latest cumulative updates:

    Outlook Express
    April 2003, Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express (330994)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/330994/default.asp

    Internet Explorer
    February 2004 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (832894)
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-004.asp

    Additionally, you could always use a properly compliant mail client. :)

    And if you want to get technical:
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1521.html
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2045.html

    °Mike°, Mar 7, 2004