    Using Outlook 2003, is there any easy way to generate a once off reply to
    one of these emails - e.g.to unsubscibe from a mailing list - without having
    to set up a specific account in Outlook?

    Martin Harran, Sep 19, 2008

  2. Martin Harran

    Whiskers Guest

    Can't you just type whatever address you want into the From header?

    Whiskers, Sep 19, 2008

  3. No, that doesn't work, the email comes through as "From <account sent from>
    on behalf of <name used in 'From' field>"

    Martin Harran, Sep 19, 2008
  4. Not sure I understand the question, but if you're asking is there a way
    to create a one-use-only email account, that all depends on your mail
    server. Most require each account to be configured with a username and
    a password _at the server_. If you don't do that, how do you expect the
    server to let your mail through.

    You can, e.g., set up an email account on the server that you don't
    check, and you might be able to set up that account to have anything in
    its inbox deleted immediately or after xxx days, and that might work for
    you. In Outlook 2003, you can create this account (after first creating
    it on the mail server) but not have it included in your Send/Receive
    group. You'd still be able to select it to use as a From account for an
    individual email, I believe, although I'm not 100% sure that it would
    show on the list of available From accounts if it's not in the group.

    In short, I don't think you can do exactly what your're asking but you
    can get close.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Sep 19, 2008
  5. Are you talking about a signature file or an out of office reply? You
    question is kind of vague can you elaborate a little more.

    The Real Truth MVP, Sep 19, 2008
  6. Martin Harran

    Whiskers Guest

    Daft software :((

    Whiskers, Sep 19, 2008
  7. Martin Harran

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Steve Freides"
    No -- From his description he's already got the server-side handled, and
    most modern mail servers can easily handle multiple addresses on the
    server side, delivering into one mailbox.

    Main do so automatically. If you have a Gmail account, for example,
    try sending mail to [email protected] instead of [email protected]
    and note that the mail comes through.

    What he's asking is if there is a way to generate a message that appears
    to be FROM a manually entered address.
    An alias, a wildcard address, additional mailboxes that are forwarded
    would come to mind as possible options.

    DevilsPGD, Sep 20, 2008
  8. Martin Harran

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Martin Harran"
    *sigh*

    For some reason a lot of the responses in this thread seem to be having
    trouble understanding a relatively simple concept.

    For purposes of unsubscribing from a mailing list, modifying the FROM
    header is sufficient, if you look at the headers of the resulting
    message the FROM header is modified, but the primary account is inserted
    into the SENDER field.

    When receiving a message with such headers, Outlook "helpfully" rewrites
    the displayed FROM header to the somewhat confusing "on behalf of"
    format.

    When most any other mail client (including list engines) receives a
    message where you modified the FROM header in Outlook, they will see the
    manually entered FROM header.

    Obviously the SENDER header is still there, so this is useful for
    technical or organizational reasons, but is not useful for concealing
    your original address for privacy or security related purposes.

    DevilsPGD, Sep 20, 2008
  9. Martin Harran

    Plato Guest

    1. Most mailing lists these days ignore the un-subscribe thing.

    2. In the future, use a disposable email address for any mailing lists
    and for any site that asks you/requires an email address to place an
    order.

    3. I've just been through this, as I just moved to nowhere USA and had
    to order lots of stuff via the Internet. I set up mail forwarders to
    place orders/get confirmation/tracking, etc, then after it was done, I
    removed the forwarders.

    Plato, Sep 20, 2008
  10. Martin Harran

    Ex_OWM Guest

    Correct again :)

    A simple Catchall in my case.

    Ex_OWM, Sep 20, 2008
  11. Martin Harran

    Ex_OWM Guest

    I was trying to avoid that but it looks like the only option.

    Ex_OWM, Sep 20, 2008
  12. Martin Harran

    Ex_OWM Guest

    I'm talking about mailing lists I've specifically opted into which IME are
    generally very good at unsubscribing. I also have to say that part of the
    reason for using specific addresses for these lists is to spot if any of
    them pass the address on to another list; I've been doing this for about 5
    years and never had that happen. Again, I have to emphasise that these are
    lists I have opted into, not harvested lists which I would NEVER reply to.

    Ex_OWM, Sep 20, 2008
  13. Martin Harran

    DevilsPGD Guest

    Not the reputable ones, and few if any discussion type mailing lists do.
    That's one way, some servers make it much easier. I'm currently testing
    out an IMAP server configuration that allows me to "create" a mailbox by
    creating a folder on the server, if the folder ceases to exist, so does
    the deliverability of that address -- Makes creating new addresses a
    beauty.

    However, you still need a client that can send "From" those addresses
    easily.

    DevilsPGD, Sep 21, 2008