Outlook Problem

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Dan Chatha, Jul 6, 2007.

  1. Dan Chatha

    Dan Chatha Guest

    This message appeaers on client sideOE

    The host 'smtp.webbasedmailservername.com' could not be found. Please
    verify that
    you have entered the server name correctly. Subject 'test', Account:
    'XYZ', Server: 'smtp.servername.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
    Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

    Email can be sccessed by using OE on domain controller main server
    when same mail account settings are enter in the OE of any client
    machine the error appears.

    Is a mail server necessary in this situation ?

    any third part free software available to problem ?

    People with short to store don't get panic in this general discussion
    group.

    Any advice , guideline will be appreciated.

    Dan Chatha, Jul 8, 2007

  2. Dan Chatha

    Mortimer Guest

    No. What you are trying to do makes perfect sense: it *should* be possible
    for any computer on the network to access external POP and SMTP servers in
    exactly the same way.

    At the domain controller, open up a Windows Command Prompt (Start | Run |
    cmd) and type the following two commands:

    ping pop.mailserver.com
    ping smtp.mailserver.com

    and note the IP addresses returned.

    Now at one of the client PCs which experiences the problem, repeat those
    commands. If they fail to get a reply, try

    ping 1.2.3.4

    where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address returned by ping pop.mailserver.com on the
    domain controller (repeat also for the SMTP server).

    This will establish whether there is a problem with the client PCs accessing
    the POP/SMTP servers and/or failing to use DNS to translate server name to
    IP address, which is what the error message seems to imply.

    DNS is evidently working to the extent that the PCs can access web sites.

    One other thought. At the domain controller, run a command prompt

    ipconfig

    and see what IP address the domain controller has.

    Repeat at a client PC. Is the client PC's gateway address the address of the
    router or of the domain controller? I wonder if you are using the domain
    controller as the DNS server, rather than using the one in the router. Could
    there be a configuration problem with the DC such that it doesn't look up
    the POP server address?

    If so, call in the experts: probably easier than us trying to sort out the
    problem at arm's length in this newsgroup.

    There's no fundamental problem with what you are trying to do, just
    something that's not configured quite right.

    I'm not sure what this sentence means. Would you like to repeat it in
    English? ;-)

    Mortimer, Jul 8, 2007

  3. Dan Chatha

    Graham Guest

    Yes, mailservers are needed for Outlook Express
    But if I understand correctly
    but you are not hosting them yourself within your domain
    you are not using your ISPs
    it's elsewhere on the internet.

    That's OK as far as receiving POP3 mail but rather
    suggests an "open relay" SMTP server which will be
    frowned upon.

    That aside can you open a command prompt
    and issue the commands
    ping pop3_servername
    ping smtp_servername
    telnet pop3_servername 110
    telnet smtp_servername 25

    Also I have just noticed that one of the more popular
    webmail providers that allows you to use POP3/SMTP
    (Yahoo) do not use ports 110 and 25 at all
    They 995 and 465 both with SSL and password authentication
    for SMTP.

    Do you have a reason for not telling us which servers you are using?

    Do you have physical access to the domain controller so you can see
    port settings etc?

    I am beginning to think I already know the answer to these two questions!

    Graham, Jul 8, 2007
  4. Dan Chatha

    Dan Chatha Guest

    It seems news room peopel recently discover the joy of suit and light
    of the camera.

    Thanks for your help anf guideline.

    pop.webmailserver.com
    smtp.webmailserver.com

    are accessable by pinging from domain controller. These servers are
    not accessable from any workstation.

    Workstations are using default gate way of domain controller IP which
    is also configured as a ISA server.

    Dan Chatha, Jul 8, 2007
  5. Dan Chatha

    Dan Chatha Guest

    yes I have physical access to domain controller

    Dan Chatha, Jul 8, 2007
  6. Dan Chatha

    Mortimer Guest

    There he goes again: another incomprehensible utterance!
    Ah. So the DC isn't routing traffic properly. Are you unable to ping the
    servers by IP address in addition to not being able to ping them by name?

    Time to call in the Windows Server experts. I wonder if the DC needs to be
    configured to route POP and SMTP traffic in addition to routing HTTP traffic
    which it is evidently doing since the client PCs can access web sites.

    Mortimer, Jul 8, 2007
  7. Dan Chatha

    Alex Fraser Guest

    [snip]
    This error means DNS lookup failed.

    Are the web browsers on the clients are configured to use a proxy server?
    (If so, it means they do not use DNS to resolve web server addresses.)

    My guess is that one or more of the following applies:

    - DNS servers are not (suitably) configured on the client machines.
    - The server is not acting as a (NAT) router.
    - A firewall is blocking necessary traffic.

    (Another possibility is no default gateway on the client machines, but you
    say you have set that in another post.)

    It would help if you could post the output of executing "ipconfig /all" at a
    command prompt on a client machine and the server.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Jul 8, 2007
  8. Dan Chatha

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    Can you ping it from the client machines?

    Jon, Jul 8, 2007
  9. Dan Chatha

    Mortimer Guest

    In another posting he said that he can't. I'm not sure whether he can ping
    by IP address; if that was the case, it would be the DNS lookup that was
    failing, whereas if he can't even ping by IP then the server is not routing
    properly.

    Mortimer, Jul 8, 2007
  10. Dan Chatha

    Dan Chatha Guest

    It seems there was a problem in DNS.

    Web pages on client machines are using ISA (Proxy server) to access
    internet.

    Dan Chatha, Jul 9, 2007
  11. Dan Chatha

    Dan Chatha Guest

    Networking general discussion room. If a server 2003 expert was to be
    called by a NT 4 expert what was the reason to open this general
    discussion group then, while the New Technology remains the same

    I wasn't aware text raider were also observing.

    Potato salad , tuna and buget always nice to eat .

    ipconfig / all SERVER side

    windows IP configuration

    Hostname : server
    Primary DNX Suffix : xyzpk.com
    Node Type : unknown
    IP Routing enable : yes
    Wins proxy enable : yes
    DNX suffix search List : xyzpk.com

    ETHERNET ADAPTER LOCAL AREA CONNECTION

    Connection specific DNX Suffix
    Description : Intel <R>
    Physical Address : 00-19-01-4A-1F-F4
    DHCP Enable : No
    IP Address : 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Default gate way :

    ETHERNET ADAPTER LOCAL AREA CONNECTION (Provided from ISP Side)
    DSL Line.

    Connection specific DNS Suffix

    Description = T1 USB remote NDIS Network
    device

    Physiacal address =

    DHCP Enable :Yes

    IP address : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway :192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server ';192.168.1.1

    CLIENT SIDE ipconfig / all

    Windows IP configuration

    Hostname : xyz-salad

    Primary DNX Suffix : xyzpk.com
    Node Type : Hybrid
    IP Routing enable : No
    Wins proxy enable : No

    Ethernet adapter local are a network

    Connection - specific DNS Suffix :Realtec rtl
    Physical address : 00-19-
    DHCP enable : No
    Ip address : 192.168.0.4
    Subnet Mask :255.255.255.0
    Default gateway : 192.168.0.1

    Dan Chatha, Jul 9, 2007
  12. Dan Chatha

    Lurch Guest

    Er, wtf? You remind of a mad finnish bloke I know who necks gin and
    vodka like it's about to disappear.

    Are you trying to tell us you are an 'NT4 expert', yet you have no
    idea how mail delivery works? Give it a rest.

    Lurch, Jul 9, 2007
  13. Dan Chatha

    Dan Chatha Guest

    ASB hmmm.

    There could be more than one NT 4 MCSE in cisco class.

    Dan Chatha, Jul 9, 2007
  14. Dan Chatha

    Dan Chatha Guest

    General discussion room request to all not to get panic

    Dan Chatha, Jul 9, 2007
  15. Dan Chatha

    Dan Chatha, Jul 9, 2007
  16. Dan Chatha

    Dan Chatha Guest

    Ipconfig /all

    has been posted for Jon review

    Dan Chatha, Jul 9, 2007
  17. Dan Chatha

    Dan Chatha Guest

    May be you dont kniow wat u have written here about vodca

    Dan Chatha, Jul 9, 2007
  18. Dan Chatha

    Dan Chatha Guest

    Dan Chatha, Jul 9, 2007