outlook express v6 to v5 mail moving problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk, Dec 11, 2004.

  1. Guest

    i've got outlook 6 on win xp on one computer and outlook 5 on win98 on
    another computer.

    I tried copying inbox.dbx and sent items.dbx from outlook 6 and
    overwriting the ones in outlook 5. Restarted outlook 5, and it just
    created an inbox(1).dbx it didn't read the messages in inbox.dbx

    I tried importing messages to OE5 doing an file..import and pointed
    it to inbox.dbx, that didn't work.

    I tried copying over a load of dbx files, including folders.dbx, but
    the copying over of folders.dbx caused an msimn.exe crash, so I deleted
    the folder and restarted outlook express.

    I gave up exporting messages. So onto exporting account details:

    Then I tried exporting the account details
    tools..account..export/import (to save the time of typing them in). I
    exported them from OE6 and tried to import them to OE5. OE5 claimed to
    have imported them successfully, but clearly didn't. (nothing was
    listed under accounts).

    I could read the dbx files with one of those OE save your email dbx
    reading programs, but I want to read them in outlook express.
    and of course I could type in the account details instead of importing
    them.

    So, judging by the above, I think I've followed
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/simple.htm
    so i can't see why it hasn't worked for me

    thanks in advance.

    , Dec 11, 2004

  2. winkle Guest

    copy over the whole folder that the old inbox is in, when you open up the
    new xp outlook, goto options and maintainence, change the "store folder" to
    the copied folder, ? then it gets all your messages etc, at least that's how
    i backup emails from outlook. just retype the account details.

    buggered if i know.

    winkle, Dec 13, 2004

  3. Guest

    winkle wrote:
    > copy over the whole folder that the old inbox is in, when you open up

    the
    > new xp outlook, goto options and maintainence, change the "store

    folder" to
    > the copied folder, ? then it gets all your messages etc, at least

    that's how
    > i backup emails from outlook. just retype the account details.
    >
    > buggered if i know.

    yeah, i tried that. I tried both overwriting the dbx files with the
    backup, that failed. then i tried putting them in another folder and
    redirecting outlook to that 'store folder'. no luck. It just sees
    inbox.dbx, ignores it and creates an inbox(1).dbx

    , Dec 14, 2004