    checked." I installed Office 2003 and the problem still persists. I found
    on Microsoft's site a 64bit version of Office must be released before this
    problem will be fixed. Has Microsoft released a 64bit version of Office?

    Guest, Jan 30, 2006

  2. Ok, at least you understand a 64 bit version of Office is needed for Spell
    check to work in Outlook Express on Windows XP x64. Hopefully Office 12 will
    be 64 bit, so far, the only Office 12 I have heard about being 64-bit is
    Office Outlook 12. In the mean time, copy and pasting the text in Word is
    the best work around for spell checking.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 30, 2006

  3. Unfortunately, as the MS site says, this requires a 64-bit version of Office
    for spell checking to work.

    Outlook Express is a 64-bit program, and it doesn't have a spell checker of
    its own. Instead, it is designed to take advantage of Microsoft Office's
    spell checker. Unfortunately, MS Office is a 32-bit program and the spell
    checking module is a 32-bit Dynamic Link Library (DLL). A 64-bit program can
    not call a 32-bit DLL. (And, of course, a 32-bit program can't call a 64-bit
    DLL.) The fix for this will require a 64-bit version of Office, I suspect.

    Note: There have been some workarounds proposed to make this work, but
    Microsoft has _very_ specifically said that they are a bad idea and that
    they risk data corruption.

    As to when we'll see a 64-bit version of office? Well, I'm hopeful that
    there will at least be a 64-bit spell check DLL available with the next
    version of Office. Which now looks to be called "Office 2007", if news
    reports are to be believed.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 30, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    So is there any external spell checker you can install for outlook express?
    I googled it and didn't find much but I saw a few programs for older versions
    of OE. Thanks.

    Guest, Jan 30, 2006
  5. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jan 30, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    so microsoft word spell check still works right? thats all i really care about

    Guest, Aug 28, 2006
  7. yes, word spell check works.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 28, 2006
  8. Guest