Outlook Express Sending Lots Of Formatting Stuff Along With Msg. What's Happening ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Mar 16, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    This has happened a few times before.

    Received an e-mail from a family member that has the actual message in it
    O.K.
    ["> Hi, Elana arrived home around 6:30 tonight. We just came in from the
    snow. Me"]

    But, as I appended below, it also has all this "garbage" along with it.
    Looks like formatting items, but am not sure.

    Any idea why this is so ?

    How can the sender make sure that their settings on OE 6 are such that it
    won't happen again ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Mar 16, 2007

  2. They're sending you HTML.
    Have them turn off sending in HTML.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 17, 2007

  3. Robert11

    Mike Easter Guest

    That is the plaintext part.
    If we were looking at the actual message source of the email associated
    with what you have pasted below instead of what you pasted here, it
    would be easier to explain what is going on. But that doesn't mean that
    I want you to be pasting raw unrendered email with complete headers
    here; just that that is always the best way to discuss a mail and its
    structure.

    In other places than this, we have other ways of doing it than pasting
    in the message source. In the spamcop news groups we use the tracker's
    storage system, and in spam newsgroups we use the
    news.admin.net-abuse.sightings postings.
    Two reasons. Html and AVG's mail attachments.
    I recommend that senders using OE 'generally' send in plaintext instead
    of html for several reasons.

    First, the html sender doesn't really know how their mail is going to
    present on the other end because they don't necessarily know what is the
    operating system or the mailuser agent mua. Secondly, even if they know
    the OS is Win and the mua is OE, they don't know how the recipient's mua
    or OE is configured. Only if the sender is 'comprehensively' familiar
    with the recipient's mua and its configuration should they try to
    'force' the recipient to display their email in a particular way with a
    particular font or a particular font face.

    That part is about AVG attaching its informational trailer. I think
    that should be turned off. When AVG filters incoming and outgoing mail,
    it can optionally attach a 'trailer' that sez that the mail is free of
    virus. That trailer can be attached to incoming or outgoing or
    neither -- that is referred to as the incoming/outgoing mail
    'certification text'.

    This part is about OE's plaintext part of its html mail.

    This part is about OE's html part of its html mail.

    Mike Easter, Mar 17, 2007
  4. Robert11

    Whiskers Guest

    snip

    Ask them to turn off 'formatting' or 'rich text'; you probably know how to
    do that better than I do.

    Whiskers, Mar 17, 2007