Outlook Express isnt downloading my hotmail messages

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by *** HAWK, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. *** HAWK

    *** HAWK Guest

    I have 3 hotmail accounts configured with Outlook Express 6.
    When I try to download mail from the hotmail server I get the following
    error:

    Authorization Required

    Configuration:
    Account: Gavin - Main Account
    Server: http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp
    User name:
    Protocol: HTTPMail
    Port: 0
    Secure(SSL): 0
    Code: 80004005

    Can anyone explain how I get this working again
    Many thanks

    *** HAWK, Jan 15, 2004

  2. *** HAWK

    °Mike° Guest

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?S4C712417

    °Mike°, Jan 15, 2004

  3. *** HAWK

    *** HAWK Guest

    Still no luck :(
    Can i import my old emails into another email client without any hitches -
    still prefer to keep using OE6 though if any finds a fix

    *** HAWK, Jan 15, 2004
  4. *** HAWK

    *** HAWK Guest

    Do any MS experts know why I get this error?

    *** HAWK, Jan 15, 2004
  5. *** HAWK

    Brian H¹© Guest

    *** HAWK said:
    It might just be a temporary server hitch, if it's been working for you in the
    past then it is extremely likely that it *is* a temporary server hitch.
    Why don't you wait a while and see what happens?

    Brian H¹©, Jan 15, 2004
  6. *** HAWK

    °Mike° Guest

    You've been given the reason.

    °Mike°, Jan 15, 2004
  7. *** HAWK

    *** HAWK Guest

    Oops,
    Man my ISP is really slow when it comes to the news-servers :(

    But thanks anyway - hopefully it'll just fix itself - I hope so (running out
    of space - 2mb doesn't get very far)
    Thanks

    *** HAWK, Jan 16, 2004
  8. Can you delete all three accounts and re-create them? I ask this because
    I have never had a problem with Hotmail through Outlook Express, but in
    Tools>Accounts>Properties>Server>LoginName....I don't use
    . I use just myname without the @hotmail.com. I know
    what it prompts, something like "This doesn't appear to be a valid
    address, but do you still want to use it" or some such. I choose "Yes".

    Now that I have said I don't have a problem with Hotmail, I'll have a
    problem when I finish this sentence and send it for post.... sheesh!!!
    ......;o)

    @}-}-------Rosee, Jan 16, 2004
  9. *** HAWK

    Alex Guest

    I have the same problem like Hawk.
    The last days I've tried many things but nothing is working
    also only using "myname" whithout @hotmail.com.

    CYA Alex

    Alex, Jan 16, 2004
  10. Sorry I couldn't be more help....;o(

    @}-}-------Rosee, Jan 16, 2004
  11. Have you tried going to www.hotmail.com and logging into the account direct?
    Sometimes I get that error and find that it's hotmail that's down.

    Trai'

    Trai' La Trash, Jan 16, 2004
  12. Well if 3 of you are having the same problem and others here use oe6 and
    hotmail and don't have the problem what would you conclude?

    Trai' La Trash, Jan 16, 2004
  13. *** HAWK

    *** HAWK Guest

    Hi Guys,
    I have still had no luck fixing this problem???

    I'm gonna keep trying though cos I really do need this fixed - if anyone
    finds a solution please post to this board - but for now looks like I'm
    gonna have to manually log into hotmail.com & view my email there :(

    *** HAWK, Jan 16, 2004
  14. *** HAWK

    °Mike° Guest

    Try checking your IE settings. Control Panel / Internet
    Options / Connections ... check 'Always dial my default
    connection'. If that doesn't help...

    OLEXP: "Unable to Poll for New Messages on Your HTTP Server"
    Error Message with Hotmail

    OLEXP: Problems Downloading E-mail from Hotmail Account

    OLEXP: Outlook Express Cannot Connect to Hotmail through Proxy Server

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jan 16, 2004
  15. *** HAWK

    PA Bear Guest

    Posted fairly frequently in OE6 newsgroup:

    Has the account ever worked in OE?

    When others get this error they usually find their ISP started using a
    "transparent proxy server" which does not support WebDAV. See this archived
    thread: http://snurl.com/1vxy.

    Make certain your time, date, and time zone settings are correct.

    IE Tools>Internet Options>Privacy>Edit> type in

    hotmail.com

    ....and ALLOW ALL COOKIES for each, in turn.

    How to Manage Cookies in Internet Explorer 6
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283185

    HOW TO: Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Connect to Secure Web Sites
    (Hotmail servers and .NET Passport should be treated as Secure Sites)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813444

    Temporarily disable your firewall, any "system" tools (NSW, NIS, anything by
    Norton or McAfee) and pop-up/ad blockers.

    How do you connect? Is the machine on a network? Related URLs if you're
    using a Linksys router:

    http://help.netscape.com/WEBMAIL/common_problems.html#linksys
    (http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=87)
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250663)
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315008)

    IE Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>HTTP 1.1>toggle between the two options.

    IE Tools>Internet Options>Security>[zone in OE runs; should be Restricted
    Sites by default]>Custom Level>User Authentication>Logon>toggle between
    Anonymous Logon, Automatic Logon with Current Username and Password, and
    Automatic Logon only in Intranet zone. (Anonymous Logon works for me, but
    YMMV)

    Resetting either or both of the above Tabs to the defaults might help, too.

    Or it's a problem on Hotmail's end.
    --
    HTH...Please post back to this thread

    ~Robear Dyer (aka PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

    Protect Your PC

    PA Bear, Jan 17, 2004
  16. *** HAWK

    devnullius

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Every time I start my Outlook Express 6, an unknown error message pops up with these details:

    Configuration:
    Account: Hotmail
    Server: http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp
    Protocol: HTTPMail
    Redirected
    Port: 0
    Secure(SSL): 0
    Code: 80004005

    Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

    Yes, found following solution: http://groups.google.nl/group/micro...cted+"outlook+express"++hotmail+&rnum=1&hl=nl

    Problem is Internet Explorer Enhanced Security. I got the problem after installing Windows 2003 x86 SP2 and other "recent" microsoft updates...

    As suggested, via Add/Remove Programs Windows Components, you remove IEES. Remove and add in Outlook Express your account and done - it works again.

    Also found high google ranking WWW information, which seems to be false...

    13-11-2006, 11:47 AM # 2
    Speedy Gonzales
    Member

    If you're trying to access hotmail, (with a recent hotmail account), it wont work, unless you pay for it.

    A few years ago, it was free but now it isnt.

    You'll have to use the browser to see your hotmail email.

    Speedy Gonzales

    13-11-2006, 03:31 PM # 3
    newaerorules
    Junior Member

    My hotmail account is not a recent one. I've had it for a long time. Do I still need to pay to upgrade my hotmail? Thanks.

    newaerorules

    13-11-2006, 03:37 PM # 4
    godfather
    Senior Member

    Location: Central New Munster

    Yes

    "Microsoft won't immediately shut off nonpaying users who have enabled Outlook or Outlook Express access to Hotmail. Instead, the company will phase out those customers over several months and give them plenty of warning that the change is coming"

    "Free Hotmail customers who want to use WebDAV have two choices," Richardson said. "They can opt for Hotmail Plus, which offers 2GB of storage space and 20MB attachments for just $19.95 a year. Or they can subscribe to MSN Premium."

    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles...layTab=Article
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    godfather

    Have fun!

    Devvie Nuis

    Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare
    ------
    All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! - ((c) 1995-2001 by Coredump; 2002-007 by DevNullius)

    devnullius, Jun 3, 2007