    how to stop it please?

    TIA

    Hodge

    Hodge, Mar 16, 2006

  2. Hodge

    Donald Guest

    Use your pointer and drag the box to prefered size

    Donald, Mar 16, 2006

  3. Hodge

    Hodge Guest

    Sorry, what I mean is the Inbox is expanded (+ to -) to show all sub
    folders.

    Hodge, Mar 16, 2006
  4. Hodge

    Mike Easter Guest

    Are you talking about OE opening in the Inbox folder?

    That is configured in OE/ Tools/ Options/ General tab - uncheck 'When
    starting, go directly to my Inbox folder"

    Mike Easter, Mar 16, 2006
  5. Hodge

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Hodge spewed forth:
    Set up your folder list the way you want to, close all open emails (if any)
    then shut down OE by pressing the Alt-Shift-F4 keys. That may work.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 16, 2006
  6. Hodge

    Hodge Guest

    Afraid that didn't work.

    Hodge, Mar 16, 2006
  7. Hodge

    Hodge Guest

    No, I want it to open with the Inbox but without displaying all the sub
    folders.

    Hodge, Mar 16, 2006
  8. Hodge

    Mike Easter Guest

    I understand now.

    Here's what my research on your issue shows me.

    I have a really lot of folders in various hierarchies in OE. I just
    closed all of the expanded folders into + closed folders and closed OE.

    When I re-opened it, what I saw was that a lot of my + closed folders
    had become - expanded folders, but some of them hadn't.

    The ones which became expanded were those which contained subfolders
    which contained unread messages.

    So, if you want your Inbox to not be expanded when you open OE, you will
    have to adjust all of the subfolders you have inside of your Inbox
    folder so that none of them contain any unread messages.

    In addition. Your newsgroup messages will communicate better if you
    trim and contextualize your replies. When you hit reply -- do not begin
    typing. Instead of typing, begin trimming everything to which you are
    not going to reply. When you make a reply, make it in the context of
    those exact words to which you are replying by skipping a line and
    putting your reply.

    Then trim everything that is left that you aren't replying directly to,
    including the previous poster's sig. If you want to put your own sig,
    that's the time to do it.

    http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html
    news.newusers.questions -- Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings

    Mike Easter, Mar 16, 2006
  9. Hodge

    Hodge Guest

    Hi Mike

    You're a star!
    All now okay.

    Thanks
    Hodge

    Hodge, Mar 17, 2006
  10. Hodge

    Mike Easter Guest

    Except that your post could/should have been:

    //
    Hodge wrote:
    YW.

    Consider developing the trimming and contextualizing form of ng
    communication.

    There are a lot of reasons that newsing has trouble communicating
    compared with telephone and face-to-face conversations. We all have to
    do everything we can to enhance the 'quality' or accuracy or 'precision'
    or responsiveness of each communication to the one with which it is
    trying to address.

    If you put your words at the top and push everything else down below,
    there is actually not much point in citing the other words which came
    before. You are just saying "I'm sort of replying to something or other
    in here". But that information of what was in the previous post is
    already available in the References^ line of your header. The message
    id of the message to which you are replying is the last in its string.
    It isn't necessary to put all of the words contained in that message
    down below your message. The only thing that is useful is for you to
    put the exact words you are replying to.

    ^1 References: <snip>
    <4419e5b6$0$76798$>

    Mike Easter, Mar 17, 2006
  11. Why not just take the check out of the box [Under Tools --> Options} on the
    General tab that reads: "Automatically display folders with unread
    messages"? KM

    Alohacyberian, Mar 17, 2006
  12. Hodge

    Mike Easter Guest

    Excellent! That is a much better solution or option than mine.

    I never noticed that configuration option for unread message folders
    before.

    Mike Easter, Mar 17, 2006