Outlook Express crashes

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Dave P, May 30, 2005.

  1. Dave P

    Dave P Guest

    I am experiencing intermittent crashes of OE. this is the message I recieve:

    Faulting application msimn.exe, version 6.0.3790.1830, faulting module msoe.dll, version 6.0.3790.1830, fault address 0x000000000019dfc4.

    I see that there are two Outlook Express directories;

    one at "C:\Program Files\ Outlook Express\ and

    one at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Outlook Express.

    the default shortcuts are going to "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\

    The msoe.dll file is listed as the faulting module. My question is this: in one directory this file is 2,097 KB and in the other directory it is 1.285 KB, both with the same version number.

    Whats the diff?

    TIA,

    Dave P

    Dave P, May 30, 2005

  2. I'm sure the differences are merely architectural. I'm not sure what to
    suggest other than submitting your crash reports. Can you explain what
    you're doing when Outlook Express crashes? Any repro. steps?

    Rafael Rivera
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com], May 30, 2005

  3. Dave P

    D. Powelson Guest

    Usually it is just open checking mail and newsgroups. Then all of a sudden
    it closes.

    Dave P

    D. Powelson, May 30, 2005
  4. Andre Da Costa, May 30, 2005
  5. Hello Dave,
    Clean install or an upgrade?
    Open msimn.exe from the one in "C:\Program Files\ Outlook Express\ and
    Then open the one from at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Outlook Express.
    Tell me what happens.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], May 31, 2005
  6. Dave P

    DaveP Guest

    Same thing happens. Like I was clicking on the same file. Clean install.
    I checked version numbers of the files in both directories and they all show
    6.00.3790.1830 (Srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447. However sizes of files between
    the directories are not the same.

    When I click on the files in the ... \Program Files\Outlook Express\ from
    32 bit windows, I get a message that they are not valid Win32 applications.

    Clicking on files in the ...\Program Files (x86)\Outlook Express\ directory
    from 32 bit windows does not give that message, MSIMN.exe opens just fine
    from my 32 bit OS.

    It appears that \Program Files\Outlook Express\ are 64 bit with no way to
    distinguish the difference except one won't run in 32 bit windows.

    Dave P

    DaveP, Jun 1, 2005
  7. They were in a last minute hurry to ship and didn't have time to fix I
    suspect.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  8. Hello Dave,
    The file should be different since the one in the \Program Files\Outlook
    Express is the 64-bit version of Outlook Express.
    The file in the \Program Files(x86)\Outlook Express should be a 32-bit file
    which calls the 64-bit version of Outlook Express.
    This was a late change to correct a problem similar to what you are seeing.
    An error message was supposed to come up rather than crash the system in
    both instances of Outlook Express are running.

    Are you dual-booting with 32-bit Windows, installed to a different volume?
    Not the same volume as 64-bit Windows correct?
    Can you package the two files and send them to me. Remove online from the
    email address.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jun 1, 2005
  9. Dave P

    sekhar r

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Could you please let me know why the 32 bit OE is launching the 64 bit OE.

    sekhar r, Sep 16, 2008