Outlook Express Crashes Visual C++ Error?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by CJ, May 12, 2004.

  1. CJ

    CJ Guest

    I have W98 SE and I'm using OE 6.

    A new problem has occured today.

    When I view certain e-mails which are in HTML format I get an error
    message and I have to close it.

    Message box pops up -

    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

    Runtime error!

    Program:c:\programfiles\outlook express\msimn.exe

    Abnormal program termination

    This error also happens when I copy some web pages into a new e-mail.

    I can't find any help on the MS knowledge base.

    Any advice greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    CJ

    CJ, May 12, 2004

  2. CJ

    why? Guest

    MS Technet March DVD version of http://support.microsoft.com/

    "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library"
    41 hits.

    2 for Win 98 not OE
    None for OE (on summary line)
    4 for OL2002
    Some for versions of office.

    KB article IDs suggestions to look at causes, search for these ID's at
    above URL.

    Search,
    "Abnormal program termination" visual
    46 hits.

    I get this on a single PC at work a lot, common factor there seems to be
    network drives, selecting files copy / move. Need to shut running apps
    and reboot. So the error is in explorer.exe rather then msimn.
    I thought there were a few .... oh well.
    Same here.

    One thing I did try was to reinstall last SP and uppdates as well as
    latest VC runtimes (Visual Studio Service Packs).

    Knowledge Base
    Vcredist.exe Installs the Latest Run-Time Components for Visual C++
    Applications
    PSS ID Number: 259403
    Article Last Modified on 10/24/2003

    Vcredist.exe is a self-extracting executable file that installs the
    latest version of the Microsoft Visual C++ run-time files and operating
    system components that are required by most projects created with Visual
    C++ 6.0. These files include fixes that are included with Visual Studio
    6.0 Service Pack 4 (SP4).

    To obtain the Vcredist.exe update, download and run the following
    application, which installs Vcredist.exe to the directory that you
    specify.

    The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download
    Center:
    Download the VC6RedistSetup_enu.exe package now.Download the
    VC6RedistSetup_deu.exe package now. Release Date: November 16, 2000

    Knowledge Base
    INFO: Microsoft Libraries Update: What, Where, Why
    PSS ID Number: 197298
    Article Last Modified on 6/21/2001
    Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0

    Knowledge Base
    <Program> Causes Invalid Page Fault Error in Msvcrt.dll
    PSS ID Number: 192123
    Article Last Modified on 8/6/2002

    Knowledge Base
    Visual C++ Runtime Library Error Message When You Attempt to Print
    PSS ID Number: 178385
    Article Last Modified on 7/22/2003

    The closest I came up with was lots of apps installed , didn't like and
    removed leaving something behind.

    Me

    why?, May 12, 2004

  3. CJ