Outlook Express and Internet Explorer hijacked by a file somewhere on my computer.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Arawak, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Arawak

    Arawak Guest

    I used a propriatory VPN program along with a dial-up connection to
    access the internet (and my work schedule) while on the road. After
    experiencing some dificulties I reinstalled the programs at home where
    I have no land lines, just a cell phone and Cox highspeed.
    After the program kept insisting that I use it's dialup program via a
    Welcome screen, I un-installed it.
    My problem now is that when I double click on the Outlook Express or
    Internet Explorer icons, neither of the actual programs start. Instead
    they are waited for this UNDETERMINABLE file which starts up the
    Flightline welcome screen expecting a dialup connection to a 1-800
    number for me to sign-up or log-in to this account. I deleted the
    dial-up connection and ialready uninstalled the program using XP's Add
    and Remove utility but obviously some command is still there which
    ignores the fact that I'm already connected via broadband and will not
    allow access to the Microsoft programs, namely Outlook Express and
    Internet Explorer whose properties dialog box show the correct target
    files as well as the correct Start In directories.
    Any ideas or suggestions?

    TIA
    Arawak

    Arawak, Mar 7, 2004

  2. Arawak

    Sultan Guest

    Arawak wrote in
    Go to your Internet Options then to the Connections tab. Change back to
    what you had originally. Remove the other.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Arawak

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Arawak

    Arawak Guest

    That was the very first thing I did since I have no telephone line an
    I am using a broadband connection but this file is smarter than that.
    It ignores the fact that it's other program files as well as dial-up
    connection are absent and will not pass the command to start internet
    explorer or outlook express. When either icon is double clicked, even
    from within their own directories, a call is going somewhere that
    opens up this Explorer-based Welcome screen. If you can out of it, it
    just assumes you don't want to dial out and ends the call to the other
    programs to continue starting up. Hence, hijacked.

    Arawak, Mar 7, 2004
  5. Arawak

    Arawak Guest

    Thank you so very much for the suggestion. I checked out the result
    list and noticed there was a line after internet explorer to also
    start a file by the name of isignup.exe, so I searched the registry
    for every mention of this file name as well as any reference to the
    original programs directory and deleted then. I then did a search of
    my hard drive for the file and deleted it after stopping it from
    running in the background by using the Task Manager and now every
    thing is back on track....I hope. At least I can now start both
    programs independently.

    Tah

    Arawak, Mar 7, 2004
  6. Arawak