    hacker trying to get inforamtion but what

    Thanks

    Joe

    kaiser.joe, Jan 19, 2004

  2. kaiser.joe

    Spider Guest

    Is there a way I can track mail that is sent outgoing. I know this sounds
    Yes, in Outlook Express you can click on Tools / Options / Maintenance and in the Troubleshooting section in the lower section, put a check in mail. This should generate logs on incoming and outgoing. I believe the name of the file it will create is smtp.log and pop.log. Search for smtp.log and that is the record of the communications session between your pc and the outgoing mail server. Now, while your in Tools / Options, also have a look on the Receipts tab. Are you set to "always send a read receipt". Personally, I think that is what is causing you to see messages you can't account for going out. Read receipt requests will show briefly in your outbox and not show up in sent items.

    Spider
    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

    Spider, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Don't be so sure the mail was sent from your machine. Forging the FROM
    header is ridiculously easy; spammers do that all the time. Often people
    get bounce (could not deliver) messages alleging that they sent an email to
    someone, when a spammer has forged their name to the FROM header.

    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 19, 2004
  4. kaiser.joe

    trout Guest

    One thing to do: go to Tools; Options; Security tab, and make sure
    that "Warn me when other applications try to send mail as me" is
    checked.

    trout, Jan 20, 2004
  5. kaiser.joe

    Mara Guest

    If something is sending e-mail from his machine that isn't him, the first thing
    I'd assume is that his machine has been compromised, probably by a trojan/worm,
    until proved otherwise.

    "I'd sure be scanning it with a _good_ AV post-haste, in this case."

    Mara, Jan 20, 2004
  6. kaiser.joe

    trout Guest

    Oh, most definitely. What I was trying to do is refine the "it seems
    that everyonce in a while" premise.

    trout, Jan 20, 2004
  7. Could be a mailbot worm. Check your entire system with a virus
    scanner.

    David A. Seiver, Jan 20, 2004