Outbox activity - suspicious?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by karlengel, Apr 4, 2009.

  1. karlengel

    karlengel Guest

    I've frequently noticed my backup program backing up my OE Outbox file
    when
    I haven't been sending anything. (It usually just backs up files that
    have
    changed). Could this be a sign my computer is sending out spam or
    something
    else unauthorized?
    I've just noticed the Outbox file is 7611KB while there's nothing
    waiting in
    the Outbox. I assumed these sorts of spam-sending trojans don't use
    your
    regular email client as that would be a bit obvious, particularly if
    the
    rogue emails showed up as Sent Items! But do they still use the Outbox
    part
    of the program?

    I'm running antivirus & antispyware and have recently done a spyware/
    malware
    scan.

    While typing this a further backup occurred, but the file size still
    reads
    7611KB.

    karlengel, Apr 4, 2009

  2. karlengel

    mikecosta387 Guest

    correct, trojans wouldn't use your OE to send spam, they just use
    regular smtp comands.
    create a new account, check the outbox folder size - and compare
    MK

    mikecosta387, Apr 6, 2009