Out of the blue and into my computer

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Loony, Jul 6, 2012.

  1. Loony

    Loony Guest

    Loony, Jul 6, 2012

  2. Loony

    Loony Guest

    Loony, Jul 7, 2012

  3. It's nice of you to say, HERE IS THE VIRUS THAT I PICKED UP, when you attach
    a virus. I'm not gonna click it to see what it does ...

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 7, 2012

  4. NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES click Yes to any offer or notification
    that your computer is infected and should, "we clean it now?" If you get
    such a notification, then STOP what you are doing and invoke the antivirus
    program that you already use, and see what it says.

    As you puruse the 'net, you will undoubtedly come across a site that will
    tell you that you have an infection of some sort that needs to be cleaned.
    MCAFEE WILL DO THIS AUTOMATICALLY AND WILL NOT SAY ANYTHING until it says
    something specific AND it will give an error that clearly says MCAFEE in
    it -- McAfee found the XYZ virus and cleaned it (or something to that
    affect). When the message is generic, SECURITY FOUND A THREAT, then the
    threat is the security itself. If you click Yes to allow the generic
    "security" clean something then you actively load an EXE file that gets a
    call embedded into the browser so that it keeps coming up with the message
    that security found a threat. You can clear the message for $69.95.

    You REALLY need to be taking a computer course at the local clubhouse in
    your community. You are asking some of the most basic questions that one can
    ask -- why do I have memory card information in My Computer, how did I get
    this <whatever> in my computer, my computer needs 15 updates... Your
    computer will seek out updates from Microsoft as a normal and customary
    operation.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 7, 2012
  5. Loony

    Loony Guest

    I did not offer to allow them to install any of the 15 progs. I
    immediately closed down the Explorer but soon afterwards I found that
    the program was already installed on my computer.
    I am paying McAffee to keep my computer clean. Obviously this was their
    failure. I looked for McAffee afterwards and found two of their websites
    but I could not find any way to contact them.

    Loony, Jul 7, 2012
  6. Loony

    Paul Guest

    It took me a couple tries, to find a site that offers support for
    their home users. Have you tried this one at all ?

    http://service.mcafee.com/Default.aspx

    I can only point you there, because I don't know what exact product
    you bought from them.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 7, 2012
  7. Loony

    Loony Guest

    Thanks again Paul,

    You were right, as usual :)

    Here is what I found and now I have a short form to fill.

    Customer Service for Home and Home Office
    https://service.mcafee.com/UserInfo.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1&st=EMAIL

    I am now filling out the short form.

    Thank you once more Sir Paul :)

    Loony, Jul 7, 2012

  8. Another way you get this is when you download something to install, you are
    asked several times to click OK or DECLINE, and the knee-jerk thing to do is
    click OK every time it comes up, but one of those OK Buttons was to load a
    scanner to look for the stuff you are saying it found. YOU MUST READ EACH
    DIALOG BOX BEFORE YOU CLICK THE OK BUTTON.

    Without knowing what the 15 updates are, the only thing I can say is that
    Microsoft creates these updates with mind numbing regularity. Microsoft will
    never send you a virus or a program that lights up your screen with YOUR
    MACHINE IS INFECTED, SHOULD WE FIX IT NOW?

    Microsoft Security Essentials is a vastly superior protection suite than
    McAfee ever was -- installing McAfee is like asking the Chicago Mob to
    protect you from the New York Mob. In my experience, both Norton and McAfee
    are a few data bits away from being the virus they are protecting you
    against -- to prove my point, try removing them from your machine.

    In any case, you accepted a virus scan program on one of the many clicks of
    the OK button that appeared when a desired program was coming to your
    machine.

    That's because they are the Chicago Mob. They will contact you if you need
    it, you cannot contact them. Have an envelope full of twentys ready when
    they call.

    Since you clicked OK, then what you have is not something that McAfee will
    protect against. The Chicago Mob sits at the front door making sure that
    only the desireable customers get in, but you can still invite the New York
    Mob in through the ally entrance. McAfee protects you from virual attacks,
    it does not prevent you from downloading an application that you wish
    (later) that you did not accept.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 8, 2012
  9. Loony

    Loony Guest

    I didn't let them get very far. I read the page and saw that it was
    offering 15 progs, most of which I already have.
    I smelled a rat at this point and I closed down the offering. It was
    late in the evening and I shut down the computer. Next morning I noticed
    that they had installed several programs and I deleted all of them. They
    have not returned. McAfee Security Scan Plus was installed a few months
    back. I tracked them to their home (USA). http://service.mcafee.com
    (Presumably from some wild east location)
    For all your future Service and Support needs, please visit
    http://service.mcafee.com
    Microsoft Security Essentials did indeed establish itself in my computer
    a few weeks ago but it did not dump the McAffee program. The latter gave
    me the impression that they are working with British Telecom (Bt).

    On many occasions I have had requests to me to allow them to "fix" my
    computer. For about 5 months I have had about 3 to 4 calls every day to
    "help" me with my computer. I told them NO but they persisted in
    annoying me by calling me and then hanging up. I stopped using the phone
    except for the computer. All of the calls came from the Far East -
    Indians, Pakis and Chinks - each with its own accent.

    I have very little interest in all of the fine details. My life has many
    more interests.

    They gave me the impression that they were working with Bt.
    Not to me. Most of my computer problems I can fix myself.
    I pay attention to what I download and I make sure that I do that from a
    reputable source.

    Thanks for your comments :)

    Loony, Jul 9, 2012

  10. Sorry, but there is a hollow note in that statement. You posted a few days
    ago that you have four drive letters that are messing things up, but those
    letters are for memory card capacity for memory slots that exist but are
    empty.

    The questions about the memory card drive letters made me think you are not
    an experienced user. Sorry if I misunderstood what you know how to do. You
    claim that you can fix a tranmsission after asking where the gas tank is.
    Surely you can grasp why I am confused.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 9, 2012