    up for what I want to do.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    -Robert

    Robert B. Phillips, II, Nov 10, 2004

  2. Robert B. Phillips, II

    Brian V Guest

    an internal wic is not for out of band manangment and is infact a bad idea
    for what you are planning on using it for. You should be using an external
    modem connected to the console port. If that router crashes you will not be
    able to access it with an internal...if it were an external you would be
    able to get to it even in romon.

    Brian V, Nov 10, 2004

  3. Robert B. Phillips, II

    Ben Guest

    I can't comment on the design rationale, but I can confirm in our network we
    use 2600/3600 management routers with a simple usr modem for out of band
    access.
    I can't see any particular advantage to using a WIC however, and agree with
    the disadvantages mentioned. The obvious benefit of using a modem that comes
    to mind is it's a lot cheaper :)

    Ben, Nov 16, 2004
  4. Everybody. Don't worry about it, someone with Cisco helped me set it
    up. Our implementation and necessity for the equipment I guess is a
    somewhat unique circumstance, although neither Cisco TAC and our Cisco
    Account Manager seemed to think our implementation was all that
    unusual. Some of the disdvantages to implementing the WIC are
    non-factors for us and some of the advantages of external modems do
    not apply. Regardless, it is now implemented and working.

    I will not bother posting the config here since apparently everyone
    but me is in agreeance that this was "marketing BS" and not a good
    solution, so I guess no one really needs to know how to see it up.

    Thanks for your time.

    -Robert

    Robert B. Phillips, II, Nov 16, 2004
  5. Robert B. Phillips, II

    Jeff Pratt Guest

    I'd have to argue that posting the config (or at least a config sample) is
    still worthwhile. I for one, have often used google's archive of these
    groups rather than asking a new question. There is little more frustrating
    than finding someone who needed the exact solution (or even a near match)
    that I was looking for, but did not post the results. The minimal amount
    of storage and bandwidth taken up with a final answering post is greatly
    outweighed by the future potential of that post.

    I guess I'm saying, even though I don't need the config now, it's worth it
    to post it on the chance that I or someone else may need it in the future.
    Anyone who feels that it is useless knowledge is more than welcome to skip
    the final post.

    Jeff

    Jeff Pratt, Nov 16, 2004
  6. Very well Jeff...
    When I installed the card and did a show run and it added...

    !
    interface Async1
    no ip address
    !
    and
    !
    line 1
    stopbits 1
    speed 115200
    !

    I added

    'password xxxxxx'
    'login'
    'modem dialin'
    'transport in all'

    to line 1 and bam all is well, not hard at all. Didn't mess with the
    Async interface since I am not doing any routing or network
    authentication.

    -Robert

    Robert B. Phillips, II, Nov 16, 2004
  7. Robert B. Phillips, II