    posts to scot.test, rec.puzzles.crosswords, uk.telecom.broadband
    all succeeded. Obviously I must be doing something very stupid!
    But what?

    Angus Rodgers, Dec 12, 2007

  2. It couldn't possibly be some problem with the Orange SMTP server
    <smtp.orangehome.co.uk>, could it? Is SMTP involved in posting
    to Usenet? (I wish I knew more about how the Internet works.)
    And could an SMTP server be refusing to handle messages more than
    a few lines in length?? Just guessing wildly. Tearing my hair
    out over this. (And I don't have much to spare.)

    Angus Rodgers, Dec 12, 2007

  3. That was never very likely, and it can't be the reason, because
    I've just e-mailed myself one of the longer articles I couldn't
    post here, and it arrived intact.

    Angus Rodgers, Dec 12, 2007
  4. Not only that, but in another newsgroup, I just tried to post a
    message of only 17 lines, and I got the same error message from
    Agent:

    "Connection closed unexpectedly by server."

    So whatever the hell the problem is, it doesn't only affect long
    messages.

    Angus Rodgers, Dec 12, 2007
  5. Angus Rodgers

    Mortimer Guest

    No, SMTP isn't used for sending Usenet postings, only for send email.
    However a protocol called NNTP is used for sending Usenet to a Usenet
    server, and it could be this server which is rejecting the longer postings
    for the same reasons that you suggest about SMTP. But why is it only doing
    it for postings to this group, when the other groups that you mention are
    OK?

    Try using Google Groups (go to www.google.co.uk, select Groups and then
    supply the name of this group) and see if you can post that way.

    Mortimer, Dec 12, 2007
  6. (Two attempts to reply to this message - one in detail, one just
    a "stub" like this one - have failed. Please bear with me, as
    anything anyone is likely to say to me about this is very likely
    to have been anticipated in one of my lost replies! The most
    important thing is that I intend to take this whole business to
    a *.test group, and I apologise for the "noise" I've made here.)

    Angus Rodgers, Dec 12, 2007
  7. With router MTU = 1492, I can post articles of length 1,730 bytes.
    With router MTU = 1458, I can post articles of length 1,696 bytes.
    So I can post articles of length MTU + 238 bytes (including this!).
    Any suggestions as to the likely cause(s), and possible cure(s)?

    Angus Rodgers, Dec 13, 2007
  8. Angus Rodgers

    Alex Fraser Guest

    Try setting the MTU on the router to 1500.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Dec 15, 2007
  9. Anothers hope, anothers game
    Anothers loss, anothers gain
    Anothers lies, anothers truth
    Anothers doubt, anothers proof
    Anothers left, anothers right
    Anothers peace, anothers fight
    Anothers name, anothers aim
    Anothers fall, anothers fame
    Anothers pride, anothers shame
    Anothers love, anothers pain
    Anothers hope, anothers game
    Anothers loss, anothers gain
    Anothers lies, anothers truth
    Anothers doubt, anothers proof
    Anothers left, anothers right
    Anothers peace, anothers fight

    Marx had an idea from the confusion of his head
    Then there were a thousand more waiting to be led
    The books are sold, the quotes are bought
    You learn them well and then you're caught

    Anothers left, anothers right
    Anothers peace, anothers fight

    Mussolini had ideas from the confusion of his heart
    Then there were a thousand more waiting to play their part
    The stage was set, the costumes worn
    And another empire of destruction born

    Anothers name, anothers aim
    Anothers fall, anothers fame

    Jung had an idea from the confusion of his dream
    Then there were a thousand more waiting to be seen
    You're not yourself, the theory says
    But I can help, your complex pays

    Anothers hope, anothers game
    Anothers loss, anothers gain

    Satre had an idea from the confusion of his brain
    Then there were a thousand more indulging in his pain
    Revelling in isolation and existential choice
    Can you truly be alone when you use anothers voice?

    Anothers lies, anothers truth
    Anothers doubt, anothers proof

    The idea born in someones mind
    Is nurtured by a thousand blind
    Anonymous beings, vacuous souls
    Do you fear the confusion, your lack of control?
    You lift your arm to write a name
    So caught up in the identity game
    Who do you see? Who do you watch?
    Who's your leader? Which is your flock?
    Who do you watch? Who do you watch?
    Who's your leader? Which is your flock?

    Einstein had an idea from the confusion of his knowledge
    Then there were a thousand more turning to advantage
    They realised that their god was dead
    So they reclaimed power through the bomb instead
    Anothers code, anothers brain
    They'll shower us all in deadly rain

    Jesus had an idea from the confusion of his soul
    Then there were a thousand more waiting to take control
    The guilt is sold, forgiveness bought
    The cross is there as your reward
    Anothers love, anothers pain
    Anothers pride, anothers shame
    Do you watch at a distance from the side you have chosen?
    Whose answers serve you best? Who'll save you from confusion?
    Who will leave you an exit and a comfortable cover
    Who will take you oh so near the edge, but never drop you over?
    Who do you watch

    Angus Rodgers, Dec 15, 2007
  10. Bingo! That seems to have done it, all right! Thank you from
    the bottom of my heart! Now I'll have to learn something about
    this MTU business: up to now, it was sheer guesswork on my part
    that it might have something to do with it.

    (My connection is terrible at the moment - servers timing out and
    failing to respond, all over the place - so, a little ironically,
    it took me half an hour to retrieve that article after posting it.)

    From <http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/MTU.htm>:

    "It does not matter too much if the MTU on your router is higher
    than that on your PC, but the setting in your router must not be
    less than the MTU on your PC."

    So I guess my PC must have a MTU of 1500 (or higher - unlikely)?
    The first order of business would seem to be finding out how to
    find out where my PC is hiding its MTU ...

    Angus Rodgers, Dec 15, 2007
  11. Angus Rodgers

    Alex Fraser Guest

    [snip]
    The default (and maximum) MTU for Ethernet connections is 1500, so unless
    you've changed it, it should be that.

    Despite what the above says, it doesn't normally matter if the MTU on the
    router is lower than that on the PC, because both the PC and servers it
    connects to are likely to support Path MTU (or PMTU) discovery.
    Unfortunately, this can go wrong, as you seem to have found out. That said,
    I am not sure of the cause in your case; perhaps some unfortunate
    interaction between your router and the news server, or a firewall issue.

    On Windows, the MTU can be changed in the registry; see (for example):
    http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/280/

    If you are not happy modifying the registry, there are a number of small
    utilities you can probably find with Google to do it for you.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Dec 15, 2007
  12. Unfortunately, as I feared, this was not merely "ironic", but was
    an effect of having set the router's MTU to 1500. Orange advise:
    "In case of problems with a third party router, change MTU to 1492
    (Livebox default setting)". I guess they must have things set up
    pretty badly at their end? As a temporary expedient, therefore, I
    will have to use MTU=1500 only when I have a long article to post
    to Usenet! As a medium term solution, I will learn how to "tweak."
    And as a long term solution, I should probably not stay with Orange

    What /is/ ironic, as well as either numerological synchronicity or
    unconscious cunning, is that the song lyrics I posted (to see if I
    could post a long text, when MTU=1500), are of a song by the Crass,
    entitled "Where Next Columbus?" (which somebody recently posted to
    sci.math) - hence 1492! Before that, I had been using part of the
    text of the Declaration of Independence of the United States. I'm
    sure there is a weird message here somewhere. I said I was going
    mad with this. :)

    Angus Rodgers, Dec 15, 2007