OT: Running a Forum on my own computer

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Tony, Sep 4, 2004.

  1. There should be a section in phpMyAdmin for administering users.

    George Hewitt, Sep 5, 2004

  2. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Having looked a little closer at things, I am guessing now that inside
    phpMyAdmin.... Do I click 'Databases' Then tick the box at the left side of
    my database called 'mainforum' ? If I then click 'Check Privileges' I get a
    box headed 'Users having access to 'mainforum'.

    The users listed are Any, pma, root, root, and testuser. To the right there
    is an Edit link for each of the mentioned users..... Which ones do I edit?

    Thanks
    Tony

    I feel like I'm becoming a pain to you and George now... : - (

    Can I delete all these other demo's that are listed inside here?

    Tony, Sep 5, 2004

  3. Tony

    David Baxter Guest

    The users listed are Any, pma, root, root, and testuser. To the right
    I don't use phpMyAdmin, I use MySQLFront, so I'm not really able to help
    here. But I'm guessing that for phpMyAdmin to be able to connect to your
    MySQL server in the first place requires a username and password... you
    could use those...

    If you wanna use MySQLFront, I've put it up on my webserver at:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?G53314839

    Once connected, go to Tools, User Manager. Fill out the "Add User" page, and
    grant all the privileges except for Reload, Shutdown, Process, File. In the
    "From Host" field, you can put % (percent), which will allow connections
    from all hosts. Alternatively, you can use localhost or 127.0.0.1 if you
    only want to allow connections from your local machine. I generally use the
    % - it's easier. ;) Click "Global Access" on the right to give the new user
    access to the entire database, or just select your phpBB database if you
    want to lock the user down to only that one database.

    And there's your username and password.

    Dave

    David Baxter, Sep 5, 2004
  4. Tony

    David Baxter Guest

    George... I'm with you, OK thats great. Now then, I just need one more
    I'm assuming that because you seem to have managed to get to the phpBB
    installation page, that this question no longer needs answering. But
    anyway...

    I'm assuming you're running Apache. In which case you'll find a directory
    called "htdocs", which will eventually contain all the pages you want up on
    the net. So stick them up in there in a new directory.

    Mine's up on www.domainname.com/phpBB, which if I was running a Windows
    server, would be in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\htdocs\phpBB. It'll
    vary depending on where you installed Apache.

    Dave

    David Baxter, Sep 5, 2004
  5. Tony

    David Baxter Guest

    Tony,

    Tried to email you but it's bouncing... any chance you can drop me an email?

    Watch for the spamblock!

    Cheers,
    Dave

    David Baxter, Sep 5, 2004
  6. Tony

    David Baxter Guest

    Bah, my email address isn't correct. If you reply to THIS post, it should
    have the correct email address once you remove the spamblock.

    Cheers,
    Dave

    David Baxter, Sep 5, 2004
  7. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Dave, I've just emailed you direct from your website, and also by the email
    address in this message minus the obvious, both messages have bounced back
    to me.

    : - (

    Tony

    Tony, Sep 5, 2004
  8. Tony

    David Baxter Guest

    Dave, I've just emailed you direct from your website, and also by the
    Try

    taemar at atlanticrealm dot com

    I know that one's working - I just sent myself a test email from my Yahoo
    account.

    Cheers,
    Dave

    David Baxter, Sep 5, 2004
  9. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Hi George, I just thought I had better get back to you with the information
    that I have finally sorted everything out. The forum is now up and running
    and many thanks for your help along the way. I do have one last little
    problem here now, that is when anyone registers on the forum is errors when
    trying to send email.... Do I need more software to cure this one? Thanks
    Again George.

    Tony

    Tony, Sep 6, 2004
  10. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Hi Dave,

    I have emailed you with the results of tonight's efforts.... they were very
    positive
    Tony

    Tony, Sep 6, 2004