OT ...... questions about Satellite Radio...?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nj_annie, Oct 4, 2007.

  1. nj_annie

    nj_annie Guest

    I know this is probably a little off-topic but I figured someone in
    here might be able to shed some light on these SATELLITE RADIO
    questions for me.

    What I am interested in is listening to SATELLITE in my home. I am
    planning on purchasing a receiver real soon. Here are my questions.
    - - - - - - - - - - -

    1 -- Do I have to buy that BOOM-BOX thing? Or, is there a "work
    around" for it? I am somewhat limited $$$ wise and although I can
    afford a receiver I would have to wait on the boom-box.

    I have numerous devices, radios etc... that have "line-in" inputs.
    Couldn't I feed the satellite receiver into one of them? Any way
    around having to get the boom-box?

    2 -- I live in a two-story apartment. Will I have to be camped out
    on
    my front porch or glued to my sliding glass door to get a decent
    signal? I live about 50 miles from NYC and Phila., if that means
    anything.

    Just wondering if any of you guys had some input you could offer me.

    Thanks so much.

    Annie

    nj_annie, Oct 4, 2007

  2. nj_annie

    Meat Plow Guest

    I have two Sirius units. My home unit is a Sportster model with a docking
    station. No speakers or line out needed as it transmits its audio over an
    FM channel of your choice from 88.1 to 107.9. This way you simply program
    it for an open spot on your FM receiver. The distance between the Sirius
    unit and the FM receiver can be up to 50 or so feet. My antenna is on the
    north side of my home on a window ledge. Satellite radio does not depend
    on a clear view of the southern sky like satellite tv does nor does it
    need a dish.

    Meat Plow, Oct 4, 2007