    of us <g>)

    --
    Scott in Florida

    Scott in Florida, Oct 16, 2004

  2. Scott in Florida

    Charlie Self Guest

    Scott in Florida asks:
    O. Winston Link, and there's a museum of his works in an old railroad station
    in Roanoke, VA. I'd imagine you could google up some sources of his photos for
    sale, including at the museum.

    Never mind. I got curious: http://www.linkmuseum.org/

    They've got a store.

    Enjoy.

    Charlie Self
    "There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other
    is pulling up." Booker T. Washington

    Charlie Self, Oct 16, 2004

  3. Scott in Florida

    Tony Guest

    Tony, Oct 16, 2004
  4. Scott in Florida

    Jer Guest

    Winston served as inspiration for my older Aussie spelunker brother. BJ
    used this technique to shoot a wideangle multiple exposure of a large
    cave scene. Using an IR remote, the image showed him standing next to
    all ten flashpole units (only one that was moved for each exposure),
    with all interior surfaces well illuminated regardless of the flash
    angle. IIRC, this image won him some sorta club award about 15 years ago.

    Jer, Oct 16, 2004
  5. In Message-ID:<2vccd.25997$> posted
    I think it was back in the late 50s that Sylvania used to have an
    ongoing contest for suggestions of large subjects, details were on the
    back of every carton of Press 25-b bulbs.

    Justín Käse, Oct 17, 2004
  6. A tip of the hat to ya!

    Thanks!

    An amazing talent. He made the steam era live on...

    --
    Scott in Florida

    Scott in Florida, Oct 17, 2004
  7. O Winston Link. He died last year - in his 90s. He was teh master of the
    No AG1Bs back then? :>)

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Oct 17, 2004
  8. I think the little AG1s came out about that time, and a fourplex version
    was introduced a few years later called a flashcube, but the P25s and
    M5s had been around much longer, were more common, and actually had a
    range that was useful out doors.

    Justín Käse, Oct 17, 2004
  9. << No AG1Bs back then? :>) >>

    Mike-

    I don't think ANY bulbs were readily available in the "B" version back then.
    As I recall, printers had to flip in a different filter for flash pictures,
    since they were usually made with bare flash.

    I think the AG-1 was introduced in the 60s. That tiny bulb was possible
    because film speed was rising. Kodacolor was up to ASA 32, or was it 64 in the
    60s? At that time blue bulbs were introduced for color, and Kodacolor's mask
    was changed.

    Today's electronic flash guns put out about as much light as the AG-1B, maybe!

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Oct 17, 2004
  10. Today's electronic flash guns put out about as much light as the AG-1B,
    Which brings up the question, what would the guide number have been for an
    AG-1B? Ah, the memories! Someone else mentioned flashcubes. I don't
    recall their recycle time (but I have dim memories of it being virtually
    zero; no charging time, just go-go-go-go and bang off four shots very
    quickly). Wasn't there also a strip of maybe 6 bulbs that someone used?

    Wouldn't it be a kick if someone came out with a flashcube-type design for
    burst-mode applications?

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Oct 17, 2004
  11. Scott in Florida

    Jer Guest

    Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

    You mean like a rotating strobe head with 4 or maybe even 8 faces, all
    charged up and ready to fire? I suspect this strobe array would need
    guy wires incorporated into the attachment. :)

    Jer, Oct 17, 2004
  12. 75, for feet and ASA 100.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 17, 2004
  13. If I remember correctly the 25's were the little bayonet bulbs used
    for indoor photography and the larger standard bulb was the 11 (still
    have some- about the size of a 60 bulb with the same base) or 22's for
    long distance. I had an adapter for my gun to use the 25's for indoor
    flash. I think we used 22's for nighttime football games.

    George E. Cawthon, Oct 18, 2004
  14. In Message-ID:<y9ycd.31726$> posted
    They were called "FlipFlash", not very popular, and came after the
    magi-cube/ag-1 era.
    They worked like a jungle clip magazine so that after the first five
    were fired, you had to "flip" it.

    The consideration in having a burst mode with incandescent flashes is
    the ignition to peak light output delay time, M synchronization, that
    would limit the repetition rate.

    Justín Käse, Oct 18, 2004
  15. Ironic as it may seem, I used to carry a pocket full of P25Bs when out
    and about, but used the Edison screw base PF60s and PF100s at home where
    we had suitable apparatus to hold and fire several of them at once.
    This was back in the late60s/early70s and I doubt you would even find
    those except in a museum.
    We had a couple Honneywell Strobonar 660s and a slave trigger but the
    bulbs were more reliable.

    One thing I'll never forget was the burning smell of the plastic shatter
    coating on flashbulbs. ;-)

    Justín Käse, Oct 18, 2004
  16. Scott in Florida

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Wow. Flahback! And the first time you were in a hurry;
    tried to take one out without giving it enough time to
    cool :(

    And the old (obligatory) joke... "I *know* the bulbs
    were all good, I tested every one of them" :)

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Oct 18, 2004