OT-ish - TheBox.biz closing down....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Aug 30, 2013.

  1. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 16:49:00 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    Ok, I'm one of the bad guys :(
    I have gotten some obscure programs from Kat, like the original Survivors
    from the 70s and UFO if you remember that show.

    Bret, Sep 5, 2013

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Oh, I am too sometimes. It all depends on how much of my quota I have at the
    time, when it re-sets etc.
    Heh! I remember them both. You old fart you! ;-)
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

    ~misfit~, Sep 5, 2013

  3. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    The intro music from UFO makes me smile every time.

    They can play it at my funeral lol

    Bret, Sep 5, 2013
  4. ~misfit~

    JohnO Guest

    I'd be very surprised of it can't be found elsewhere...

    JohnO, Sep 6, 2013
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Oh, /usually/ I find it elsewhere. However it's not always uploaded promptly
    (important when you're avoiding all media so as not to spoil the enjoyment
    of not knowing who's going to win) and often it's on 'ratio' sites and I
    find that, seeding from NZ (partly because of timezone and partly because a
    lot of torrent software 'chooses' low-ping seeds) it's near impossible to
    get the ratio back.

    At TheBox they understood this and instead made sports 'neutral' - meaning
    that, as long as you seeded it (made it available for seeding) for at least
    48 hours over the next week then it didn't count against your ratio. Also
    the uploaded was *very* dedicated. He uploaded practice sessions and
    qualifying, all made available in under an hour of airing.

    I can only hope to find a source that is as good.

    ~misfit~, Sep 6, 2013
  6. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    Had a quick look.

    http://kickass.to/usearch/Hannibal formula 1/

    Bret, Sep 6, 2013
  7. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    Those were the days, theyjust don't make 'em like that any more!
    That was great, thanks Bret. I used to love the old sci-fi shows. What
    happened to the future anyway? I'm still waiting for it to happen.
    I wanted a flying car and holidays on the moon, and all I got was a
    bloody cellphone...

    Ray Greene, Sep 6, 2013
  8. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    All this tech and what use do we put it to, the cellphones is so your boss
    can call you anytime.

    Bret, Sep 6, 2013
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Heh! Nostalgia attack!

    (Was that an IBM 'golfball' electric typewriter?)

    ~misfit~, Sep 6, 2013
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yep, them's the ones. Originally if you signed up for TheBox it was strictly
    verbotten to upload TB torrents elsewhere - your account was deleted if it
    was tracked back to you. Then, after a while I think they changed it to "if
    you absolutely *must* upload our torrents elsewhere then be sure to put
    attributions in the torrent name".

    Actually I think it was that change of attitude that helped to get them
    closed down by UK authorities. All of their torrents were not only named for
    either TheBox or the capper but a lot of them had a bit of unobtrusive text
    overlaid on the video with uploaders name and 'TheBox'. (Oh, in case you
    didn't know they were strictly UK TV only.)

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Sep 7, 2013
  11. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    Lol. yes the height of technology.
    You see the year it is supposed to be flash up somewhere. 1980

    Bret, Sep 7, 2013
  12. That was great, thanks Bret. I used to love the old sci-fi shows. What
    happened to the future anyway? I'm still waiting for it to happen.
    I wanted a flying car and holidays on the moon, and all I got was a
    bloody cellphone...[/QUOTE]

    :)

    Check out some early edition "shadowrun" roleplaying books for how good
    predicitions were as to what we would get, and how wrong they were on what
    it might look like (comm link weighing 2 kg anyone ? :) ). Portable recorder
    and picture taker something like 4 kg ? :) :) ).

    Good stuff. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 9, 2013
  13. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    :)

    Check out some early edition "shadowrun" roleplaying books for how good
    predicitions were as to what we would get, and how wrong they were on what
    it might look like (comm link weighing 2 kg anyone ? :) ). Portable recorder
    and picture taker something like 4 kg ? :) :) ).

    Good stuff. :)[/QUOTE]

    Predicting the future is easy, predicting it accurately is hard :)

    I read somewhere recently, if an experienced scientist says a thing in
    the future is possible then he's probably right, if he says it's
    impossible then he's probably wrong...

    Ray Greene, Sep 15, 2013