OT--help--can't access shared files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MB_, Jul 11, 2009.

  1. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    Howdy. For years I've had my desktop and then a wireless laptop which was
    able to access some files on my desktop. Now I have two such laptops.

    All of a sudden, neither laptop can find the network path.

    When I disable Zone Alarm from either laptop, it works fine.

    I still seem to have the correct addresses listed in the Trusted Zone, but I
    don't know how to check that for sure? Do I use ipconfig/all on my desktop
    and use those addresses for ZA on my laptops (ie: put them in the trusted
    zone)?

    I THINK those addresses are correct.

    Could there be a problem with the latest Windows Updates interfering with ZA
    and creating this problem. You may recall there was a similar problem where
    one could not even get internet access. They then issued a patch?

    I'm just not sure why this suddenly happened, nor how to dx. this problem.

    Any suggestions/guidance would be appreciated.

    Mel

    MB_, Jul 11, 2009

  2. Remove Zonealarm.

    Steve

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Jul 11, 2009

  3. Hello,

    Pretty much narrowed it down to ZoneAlarm

    To find your IP address, go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections >
    (double click the wireless connection) > Support > IP address. Verify that
    the other system has this IP address in their Trust zone.

    If it still does not work, find the laptop that has the problem by disabling
    ZoneAlarm only on one of them. If sharing works after disabling Zonealarm on
    Laptop A, then look through the settings of Laptop A, particularly the
    blocked applications.

    Still no go? Reset ZoneAlarm by removing all programs in the firewall list.
    Or seek further help in http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/
    __
    Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
    Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv NTSC PAL

    Singapore Computer Service, Jul 11, 2009