    on the photo you took.
    I wouldn't want to find out :)

    Cathy

    Cathy, Sep 7, 2005

  2. Don Stauffer

    Mark² Guest

    Here's another shot that lets you more easily identify what it is...can you
    see the white under-belly?:

    And here's a different, younger orca that submerged literally right in front
    of me:

    These were shot about 60 miles S.E. of Victoria (off the S.E. side of the
    island).
    -Mark

    Mark², Sep 7, 2005

  3. Don Stauffer

    Cathy Guest

    Mark2, as I was asking before, was the photo of the orca/dolphin taken
    by you. If so, how did you get so close to it? and were you on a fishing
    or photography trip at Victoria?
    If its not an orca, and more related to a dolphin, what is it?

    Cathy

    Cathy, Sep 7, 2005
  4. Don Stauffer

    Mark² Guest

    It *is* an orca, or "killer whale."
    Gene's only objection was to the official use of "whale" and his quibble
    over whether they have a strong tendency toward killing. They can and do
    kill, but not enough to deserve the name.
    It's an orca, and it could most certainly kill you if it wanted to.
    Only rarely would they choose to, so the name "killer whale" is a bit
    unfortunate.
    Ever see "Shamu" at a Sea World ocean park? That's what this is.
    I shot this from a small boat, and the intent was to go find orcas for
    viewing.
    There were 1 or 2 DOZEN of them all around us. Most weren't nearly this
    close, but several (including these two) were *extremely close.* Boats are
    not supposed to chase them, but these headed straight for us with our engine
    off. They only surface for a brief moment, so it's not easy to capture them
    well. I was frankly a little disappointed in what I did capture, but only
    because of what bits of greater action I missed. One of them jumped
    completely out of the water, landing on it's side/back. Spectacular, but
    farther off, and without warning. Very tough to capture, as you need more
    than speed/readiness/tele...you need a lot of luck. :)

    Mark², Sep 7, 2005
  5. Don Stauffer

    Frank ess Guest

    I have recently heard from a "whale watcher" tour participant:
    You know about "dolphin-friendly" tuna fishing? They take great pains
    to select out the dolphins from their nets. Make sure they get back in
    the water, not in the hold. Well, the orcas figured it out, and follow
    the tuna boats, snapping up the dolphins as they are discarded.
    Killer-and-eater "whales", that's what.

    Frank ess, Sep 7, 2005
  6. Don Stauffer

    Mark² Guest

    No doubt they kill... The quibble tends to arise from people's assumption
    that they like to eat *people.*
    :)
    Frankly, Frank (ha ha), they rarely get the chance, as most folks don't like
    to swim in icy-cold water.

    Mark², Sep 7, 2005

  7. I did a quick Google and have only seen what I believed to be true from what
    I had read years ago. There is no record of an orca in the wild killing a
    human. Watching one flop on a kayak I have to wonder how they could never
    even have killed by accident...but that is what I find. Do you have a source
    for your belief that they have killed humans in the wild? (Captivity doesn't
    count as accidents are more likely and doing those stupid tricks might drive
    them nuts)

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 7, 2005
  8. Don Stauffer

    Frank ess Guest

    I guess I missed the part where someone "believes" orcas have killed
    humans in the wild. Who was that? Answer up!

    Frank ess, Sep 7, 2005
  9. Don Stauffer

    ASAAR Guest

    You must have missed the 700 Club, where Pat Robertson identified
    a few commie orcas known for their liberal and other queer ideas.
    The only known killings so far have been linked to missions with
    Navy Seals, but they only occurred during the Clinton (Free Willie)
    administration, and most of the information is still classified.
    Now these undesireables are located in Sea World, living on handouts
    and any grants not already slashed by the Bush administration.

    ASAAR, Sep 7, 2005
  10. I did find where the name Killer Whale is from what the Spanish called
    them....but the Spanish invert word order. So they were calling them Whale
    Killers...and they are that.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 7, 2005
  11. Mark²,
    What? Free Willy??? :)
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Sep 7, 2005
  12. What? Free Willy??? :)

    So....are we back to criticizing Bill Clinton again!?

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 7, 2005
  13. Your pen's nib must be dull, or you're really trying to drill down into the
    cravices of your teeth haha.

    I wear my tea drinking status on my teeth with pride Snort'N'Chuckle. No
    chicklets in this mouth! Just regular teeth.

    Take care,
    Linda

    Linda Nieuwenstein, Sep 9, 2005
  14. Nice picture, Mark² (I figured out the ² hehe). Which camera was used to
    take this shot?

    Take care,
    Linda

    Linda Nieuwenstein, Sep 9, 2005
  15. We have a RV park here in my neighbourhood that is owned by a guy and gal
    from Texas (Dallas to be exact) and all Summer long droves from Texas stay
    until late Fall. Some are now staying the whole year less just enough weeks
    to keep their US citizenship. Many that I have spoken to say they love the
    weather here in the Summer, and that it is too hot in Texas. Mind you I'd
    love your Winters!

    PS: I'm laughing because this OT Goodbye thread whose starter post was
    complaining about the number of OT posts in the group must be getting close
    to being the longest OT thread in the history of the group haha. Irony is
    everywhere.

    Take care,
    Linda

    Linda Nieuwenstein, Sep 9, 2005
  16. I'm going to say 'what's that?' to the type of pen you refer. I wouldn't
    want to date myself hahaha. Just kidding. Oddly enough if I write for long
    enough with a pen/pencil I too get a stiff hand and some minor ache in my
    wrist. I think I press too hard. The Wacom Pen doesn't bother me at all
    though, but I'm not pressing hard either as I have the sensitivity set just
    right for me. I'm also not 'writing' with it which is probably a big part of
    the difference.

    For detailed graphics work and illustration I find the Pen a real time saver
    over the mouse. I'm not as steady with a mouse.

    Take care,
    Linda

    Linda Nieuwenstein, Sep 9, 2005
  17. I've never seen a tablet computer in real time (only pictures on the Web),
    but I doubt I'd be wasting money on it. I find a lot of things today to be
    nothing more than toys like PDAs and related handheld computers. Now there's
    a money market!

    Take care,
    Linda

    Linda Nieuwenstein, Sep 9, 2005
  18. Don Stauffer

    Mark² Guest

    Canon 10D.
    :)

    Mark², Sep 9, 2005

  19. Not a waste of money at all if you Photoshop. I have the added benefit of
    being ambidextric and have the tablet on the left. I don't like the buttons
    on it but otherwise it is used often for masking and the like.

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 9, 2005
  20. Don Stauffer

    Frank ess Guest

    Left-brain, right-brain stuff going on there?

    I'm, right-handed but mouse left and track-ball right.

    Frank ess, Sep 9, 2005